Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Joe Elwell
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - I’m about to begin rebuilding a Milano 3.0L engine I found at a junk yard, for installation in my 84 GTV6.

What I’m going to do is this:

1. Rebuild engine, renewing bearings, etc, installing:
1. NOS 164S pistons/liners I purchased from a BB member.
2. RjR429 intake and 82 exhaust cams I purchased from Richard Jemison
3. MegaSquirt system I’m currently assembling, for fuel injection control
4. CSC headers
2. Install power steering rack/pump/etc from Milano
3. Install TropicAir A/C with Sanden compressor, larger condenser, etc (I’ll strip the interior and insulate sheet metal surfaces)
4. Rebuild existing transaxle, or a Milano LSD transaxle I bought with the engine. Haven't decided which because of long Milano final ratio.

I’ve disassembled the engine, and to my eye, it all looks ok. I will be taking it to a machine shop recommended by Tim Rooney, a local Alfa mechanic/restorer. (I’m in Fairfax Virginia)

I’d apprectiate any comments on the above plan.

I have a lot of questions, but I think I’ll post them separately in this thread, starting with the selection of bearings for the bottom end in the next post.

Joe Elwell

·
Joe Elwell
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First - on the previous post, I neglected to mention. This is for STREET. I've retired from racing, so while I might take it out to Summit Point for some fun, I doubt it. No 7000rpm sustained running.

Here is a pic of the crank. I think all the bearing surfaces look ok (to my eye), but I'll ask the machine shop what they think.

While I plan to take this (and the block, etc) to a machine shop, I'd like to know, myself, what's going on here.

Questions:
1. Do I have those color dots associated correctly with the various journals?
2. I'm assuming the dots I've got labeled Rod 3, 4, Main 3 are white, and the rest are red?
3. Most importantly - what's with the seemingly missing one? That ?? pointer points to something that MIGHT be a dot, but I honestly dont think so.
4. I've read on this forum that the crank oil journals need to be worked on somehow? I've also heard that on some cranks, drilling additional oiling journals is a good idea?

I understand these cranks have been nitrided, and should not require machining of journals, so I just buy the right bearings and install? Shouldn't we mic the journals, etc? Plastgage?

tia,
Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
You are going to have a great car. If you don't have to smog the car then merge the headers into a 2.5" pipe and install a single Borla straight through muffler. Also ask RJ if he can modify your plenum the way that he did mine. I would initially just have Megasquirt control your fuel and only do the ignition when the fuel is sorted out. I can supply you with a megasquirt file for an engine like yours. Are you getting your Megasquirt from Al Mitchell?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Crank journals look good. Just get them polished by the shop. Color coded bearings are no longer available, aftermarket standard bearings are fine. Definitely plastigage. If you find clearances are too tight or loose you can try swapping shells around taking advantage of manufacturing tolerances.

·
Joe Elwell
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed - thanks for the encouragement. You've already chimed in and helped out on the decisions Ive made to this point, and it's much appreciated.

Do not have to pass emissions, so will definitely do the 2.5" exhaust, as you've suggested. I'm doing the MegaSquirt myself, but will certainly bug you for that file when I get to that point.
best,
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts