Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm at the point where I am ready to have my cylinder heads from the 164S rebuilt. I have purchased the following from Centerline Alfa:

>Performance valve springs
>New intake/exhaust valves
>New valve guides
>New seals
>New stem seals

Now, since I have the heads off the car and all the parts to go in, it shouldn't be that expensive, right? I should just be able to take this to a machine shop, right? My first quote was $460 per head for JUST labor (Roselli's - San Jose). For that price, I could get a nice set from Centerline already rebuilt! Actually, less!

What do you all think is the going rate for the rebuild? Does anyone know any reputable shops around the bay area in Northern California?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
PM me and I will give you the number to my friend, he can do them for way cheaper. PS those high performance valve springs will probably rob you a few HP at high rpm's, but at least you will not have to worry about floating valves. I just wonder how much they shorten the life of the timing belt, if at all. Let me know if you need his number,

Jon

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Right coast guy I use charges me only 215 a set with clean up milling included, all I do is supply the parts. That is just valve job, spring tension check and slight mill. If I need a pressure check, helicoil work, etc., that is extra but still not near your left coast quote for just one head.

My other shop I use for flywheel refacing, etc., wants 360 a set so it pays to shop around. they used to do all my head work years ago until I found my new guy.

Even these shops up the anty if you want any Stage 2 or 3 work down.

OBTW Note: I do all my own cam set up and clearance checks as that is where the added cost really comes in if that is part of your price quote.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob Wandell from Import Doctors in San Ramon quotes me $700 for the rebuild of both heads and the valve job which is better than the $1000 from Roselli's, but I will still keep checking...

Steve, maybe I should send them to your guy! ;)

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo! Continental Motors (Alfa Romeo) in Sunnyvale quoted $350 if I don't need new seats, otherwise a little bit more. They also do some performance work if I'm going to put in some surprises :) I've heard many good things about them, so we'll see how this goes. I still need to pull the rear head...that's going to be fun!

The $350 also includes valve job, cleaning the heads, and replacing everything. I will be providing my own parts from Centerline Alfa.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Bingo! Continental Motors (Alfa Romeo) in Sunnyvale quoted $350 if I don't need new seats, otherwise a little bit more. They also do some performance work if I'm going to put in some surprises :) I've heard many good things about them, so we'll see how this goes. I still need to pull the rear head...that's going to be fun!

The $350 also includes valve job, cleaning the heads, and replacing everything. I will be providing my own parts from Centerline Alfa.
DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE OIL PUMP SHAFT NUT before trying to yank rear head off.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts

Is engine in car? If so see my water pump timing belt changing thread.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi steve,

Yes, I definitely won't forget that. I had to learn that the hard way on the blown engine I was disassembling. It didn't damage anything, but I just couldn't get the head off until I undid that bolt. Engine is in car, but will be coming out when I get the rebuilt heads back from the shop that are going on a rebuilt block...

I think I can finally start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And to think I've been working at it off and on since May!!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I think I can finally start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And to think I've been working at it off and on since May!!
My tunnel keeps getting longer as soon as I finish one project three more are in que. Just finished putting bride's Jeep back on road today, tomorrow son comes over for another F-S evening on his Maser and his 91 164L verde project sets in line with bad engine lower end. Then there are my backlog of my rescue projects.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear head was off after about 3 hours of loosening screws and whatnot; my first time removing one while in the car and it was a major PITA! Either this week or next, the heads will be taken to Continental Motors in Sunnyvale.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I found it a pain in the neck as well! I found it helped to get a piece of wood to hold the head up after you worked it part way up the studs, then rest, then pull it off all the way. I did not know about the oil pump gear nut, but thanks to the BB, I had the head off the next day

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I found it a pain in the neck as well! I found it helped to get a piece of wood to hold the head up after you worked it part way up the studs, then rest, then pull it off all the way. I did not know about the oil pump gear nut, but thanks to the BB, I had the head off the next day

Yes I use the sideways 2x4 wood spacer trick too. Funny how easy it is to forget all those little tips to pass on to others. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heads were done in about two days which was very fast when I was quoted two weeks. The work done was: Valve job, replace guides, seals, all valves, stem seals, performance springs, bead blast heads, lap new valves, and adjust valve clearences, shims, etc.

Out the door for $465 which was a good deal for me. I could probably have found a cheaper place, but I saw that quality work was being done here.

I think I will make a post for my entire overhaul: Engine, all hydraulics, power steering rack, suspension, interior, carpeting, lighting, etc...I just cannot wait until this project is complete so I can get into another? :eek:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I finally got my heads back yesterday:D
The entire job for replacing all the guides and a valve job (included nipping off a tiny bit of a couple of valves for the correct hight) was $270.00. Of course that didn't include any parts or the friggin' oversized guide that I had a guy make($105.00:()

I will have mine running this weekend :cool:. Can't wait to see how the cams I had done at Delta Cam feel.

Thanks for telling me now Steve!! I also had to get a new pump since I "gutted" mine because I'm too good to read the factory manual that I had sitting in front of me:eek:......

Paul

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I pulled the head off with the nut attached to the shaft! It pulled the shaft out of the pump hence the new pump. Bummer.....

I probably needed to pull the pan to get the gook out of it any way??

Paul

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I received the Reinz gaskets in the mail today. BTW, the one O-ring that is supplied with it, is that necessary for the 164?

The heads were bead blasted, but would you recommend polishing the areas where the head gasket will go or do these surfaces look acceptable? They are definitely flat with no warping.

Sorry about the bad pictures, my camera battery died, so I had to use the cell, but quality isn't too horrible.

Head #1

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts