Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally found two of the older style thermostats from the early sprints that had the valve pressed into the top side of it. The idea here was you only replace the top neck instead of the whole assembly.
What i have done is remove the valve and machine the housings to suit the most commonly available thermostat valve around. With this it allows you to change what temp it opens (71, 77, 82, 88 degrees celcius), so depending on the car and environment you can get it right. And now it will only take two screws and 5mins to replace as apposed to 30mins and alot of mess =)
All it required was some machine work adn teh two holes to be relocated to rotate the top neck to point in the right direction. I also ground down and fixed that pitting, it actually came good with the dremel so i was quite happy with the end result.
Also note that these only suit cars without the power steering pump as it sits a bit more forward than the pressed style thermostat.
Have tested it this weekend and all good plus it looks saweet!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
This fix could apply to all the later cars with the built in thermostat housing. Thanks for posting. Any idea how deep to machine this?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Good work Mike, definitely something on the "list" for my 'sud project.

~Benjamin

·
Registered
755 Posts
Me Muchie muchie likies!!

Once again Mike, standing ovation from my end of the workshop...what can I say...Alfa genius!

Why oh why did Alfa use the sealed units that always lose their temp after a year or two!!? Everything else is rebuildable...why not these!! :confused:

Ben and I are hunting these babies down at a UPI near you!!:D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Grab me 2x while your at it :)

Ben and I are hunting these babies down at a UPI near you!!:D[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This fix could apply to all the later cars with the built in thermostat housing. Thanks for posting. Any idea how deep to machine this?
It is about 1.5mm deep, it has to be deep enough for the valve to sit almost flush with the face, and allow a small amount to protrude so when clamped it will seal tight.

Cheers boys, and yes as bsoon as we see them we'll snap them up. Josh yours is at my house when your ready.
Also im in the process of modifying the sealed units for the 16v application, will keep posted on progress.

·
Registered
612 Posts
i want one of those replaceable thermostat housings too:)
i had an event the other week when my thermostat didnt open and the water boiled.
pretty spectacular scene, at first i thought the steam was an engine fire!
no damage and hasnt happened again since, but every time i start the car i nervously keep an eye on the temp gage until reach operating temp.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok I just found one from an early Ser 1 33 and after seeing it realised that my earlier question about "what they looked like is now obsolete. Doh! .. I was thinking that Fly33boxer had grafted a top thermostat housing from another vehicle on top of the main body. For anyone else thinking as I was you're using all of the O.E. housing bits and modifying from there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Top housing modification

Hi Flyboxer, It's great to see this kind of innovation. A couple more questions for you if I could.... How did you go about removing the thermostat?.. Is it pressed or crimped into the top housing? I am presuming that you might have done some machining to the top housing as well..... Could you please post a photo and explanation of what you did and what the fit up side of the top housing looks like after you have removed the o.e. thermostat and made it ready to accept the after market unit. Thanks & cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Flyboxer, It's great to see this kind of innovation. A couple more questions for you if I could.... How did you go about removing the thermostat?.. Is it pressed or crimped into the top housing? I am presuming that you might have done some machining to the top housing as well..... Could you please post a photo and explanation of what you did and what the fit up side of the top housing looks like after you have removed the o.e. thermostat and made it ready to accept the after market unit. Thanks & cheers
I had to dremel the top housing to pry out the old one and some machining was required to get the surface flat. Also it needed some boring to accept the conacle shape of the thermostat insert. The base needed a lip recessed in it to let the thermostat valve sit in it tight, thus when you screw the two together it holds the valve tight inside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
First post here, thought I had already registered.

Hi again Fly33Boxer.

I have also modified a 2 part thermostat to fit on my ser 3 16v. Please see this thread w w w.alfa-pages.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=40419#40419 and comment on the last post re temps please.

Thanks
Alan.

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
While this is a super idea, as Rick1803 pointed out in this post, there is a simpler solution for those without machining capability. Just install an alloy plate the thickness of the new thermostat with a gasket each side.

This plate has a hole the size of the new thermostat and the Alfa housings will keep it in place as their holes are slightly smaller.

Best
Pete

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,529 Posts
It does move the new thermostat away from the hole in the housing that it is supposed to seal against when cold. Question is, does it move away too much? Meaning that warm up would be slow?

Reactions: Henrique Vaz

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
It does move the new thermostat away from the hole in the housing that it is supposed to seal against when cold. Question is, does it move away too much? Meaning that warm up would be slow?
No, but I do no understand what you are saying. The thermostat would not move at all, same location as it would have been if the housing was countersunk.

I've updated the sketch to return to having gaskets top and bottom of thermostat so now no sealing concerns:
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i don´t know if any of you is still active, but my alfa 33 1.3 dual carb has a stuck thermostat, mine is the sealed one, i want to buy one from an alfasud to do something similar to this, can someone tell me if there are different versions of alfasud thermostats or as long as i see to bolts on the top im good?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys, i don´t know if any of you is still active, but my alfa 33 1.3 dual carb has a stuck thermostat, mine is the sealed one, i want to buy one from an alfasud to do something similar to this, can someone tell me if there are different versions of alfasud thermostats or as long as i see to bolts on the top im good?
this is the one i´ve seen for sale

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.