Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original fuel hose has hardened and split, so I need to crimp new hose onto the existing fittings. Two questions:

1. The parts book lists the hose as 230.52178. Has anyone found this or a near equivalent? I checked the usual suppliers and did not find cloth covered hose in that size or under that part number.
  2. With the hose in hand, what have you done about finding the collars aka ferrules, and crimping them. I'd love to have a $multi-thousand crimping machine but that's not in the budget at the moment. :)
Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
You've done this with a Montreal fuel hose and fittings?
There is nothing special about hydraulic fittings for a shop that specializes in the business. If you have the ends and the application i.e. low pressure gasoline that goes through the hose, they will make it up for next to nothing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is nothing special about hydraulic fittings for a shop that specializes in the business. If you have the ends and the application i.e. low pressure gasoline that goes through the hose, they will make it up for next to nothing.
I know. Of course I called a few hydraulic shops and nobody wants to work with walk-in parts for liability reasons. That's why I asked if you had actually done this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"if your Montreal burns to the ground through no fault of their own"

Right, "nobody wants to work with walk-in parts for liability reasons. "

And you're right this is clearly not rocket science. More like "20 questions" Here are the next five:

Called my local O'reilly's.. "No we don't do it but the San Jose store [one hour away] does it."

Called San Jose store, "what did you say? cramp the hose? No we don't do that. Try google and call around to other O'reilly's" [wow, thanks! great suggestion!].

Call O'Reilly 800 number... "Yes this one in Sacramento [2-1/2 hours away] does; it here's their number."

Hi Sacramento can you crimp my hose? "No we only crimp Gates hardware."

So, no thanks but I'm not going to call Autozone or Advanced.

This is why, rather than "dialing for dollars" I always try do this stuff myself and is why I'm really looking for someone who's done it himself.

I can do swage it myself, which at 20 PSI will work fine. A cylindrical hex-crimp would be a tiny bit more authentic, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life on the phone.

Anyone used an HVAC crimper for this? The Alfa hose is a little "in between" on size, but might work. eg:

·
Registered
7,522 Posts

And you're right this is clearly not rocket science. More like "20 questions" Here are the next five:

Called my local O'reilly's.. "No we don't do it but the San Jose store [one hour away] does it."

Called San Jose store, "what did you say? cramp the hose? No we don't do that. Try google and call around to other O'reilly's" [wow, thanks! great suggestion!].

Call O'Reilly 800 number... "Yes this one in Sacramento [2-1/2 hours away] does; it here's their number."

This is why, rather than "dialing for dollars" I always try do this stuff myself and is why I'm really looking for someone who's done it himself.

I can do swage it myself, which at 20 PSI will work fine. A cylindrical hex-crimp would be a tiny bit more authentic, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life on the phone.

Anyone used an HVAC crimper for this? The Alfa hose is a little "in between" on size, but might work. eg:

Okay... I'm back to restoring a P-51... in my dreams.. perhaps it's time to used hose clamps...perhaps I should just stand aside and unfollow.. which I did.. and leave it to silence

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Where is this fuel hose with crimped fittings? I can't remember any on my car and can not find it on the 'Spare Parts Catalogue'. What page or table is it on?

I know that the oil lines, from the sump to the reservoir, have crimped on fittings and remember reading about them in Montreal~the Essential Companion. Bruce Taylor wrote that a hydraulic hose shop will rebuild the oil lines with new hoses using the original fittings -as they are 45 degree fittings and shops commonly have 90 degree fittings or something like that.

Either way, your best bet is probably to take your old lines and fittings to a local hydraulic hose shop and ask, in person, if they can do the job....or refer you to someone who can. If you can't find a hydraulic hose shop, call any heavy equipment operator in your area (someone with bulldozers graders and earth movers). We have B&J Hydraulics nearby and I have even seen a mobile hydraulic line repair truck in the area.

As a second thought, you might try calling Larry Jr. at APE.

Mark

My original fuel hose has hardened and split, so I need to crimp new hose onto the existing fittings. Two questions:
  1. The parts book lists the hose as 230.52178.
Alan

·
Registered
734 Posts
Bell Metric sells the ferrules and the crimping tool But expensive I took some lines to local hose shop and they said that their machine would not work with the line size I do a lot of resto work and would love to find someone local who could do this or bite the bullet and buck up for the machine It is a Cohlins ( I think that is right ) brand The lines look so much better crimped with the proper hose fittings where applicable

·
chiuso per ferie
11,770 Posts

I would source a metric kit. I've just googled metric swage tube expanding kit and found some.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Where is this fuel hose with crimped fittings? I can't remember any on my car and can not find it on the 'Spare Parts Catalogue'. What page or table is it on?

I know that the oil lines, from the sump to the reservoir, have crimped on fittings and remember reading about them in Montreal~the Essential Companion. Bruce Taylor wrote that a hydraulic hose shop will rebuild the oil lines with new hoses using the original fittings -as they are 45 degree fittings and shops commonly have 90 degree fittings or something like that.

Either way, your best bet is probably to take your old lines and fittings to a local hydraulic hose shop and ask, in person, if they can do the job....or refer you to someone who can. If you can't find a hydraulic hose shop, call any heavy equipment operator in your area (someone with bulldozers graders and earth movers). We have B&J Hydraulics nearby and I have even seen a mobile hydraulic line repair truck in the area.

As a second thought, you might try calling Larry Jr. at APE.

Mark
I was thinking the same thing when I started reading through the thread. I'm in the process of restoring my car and have yet to run across crimped fittings on any fuel hose . . . dry sump oil lines and a/c lines, sure.

To the OP, can you post a pic of your fuel hose and where the fitting attached (e.g. fuel tank, pumps, regulator, external filter etc)? Posting a pic might also jog someone's memory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out that over on the side of the parts book page listing the bulk cable they also list a clamp for this hose 2300.53206 which is a 15 to 15.5 Romablok clamp, which I found available from a source in Germany. That must be the factory-approved hose repair method and therefore renders any further searching for someone willing to crimp unfamiliar sleeves an utter waste of time and probably explains why everyone else seems to have clamped hoses, i.e. they've been repaired at least once. So at that point I declared victory and got some Gates 3/8" carburetion hose and installed it over the existing fittings, cut out of the crimped sleeves, with FI clamps. At 20 PSI it works fine.

I have the Mastercool tool (or one very similar to the 71600) that Ossodiseppia found. That's the same one I posted earlier but did not mean to. "Swaging" in this instance is used in a more general sense than simply reducing the ID of the tube which is only one specific form of swaging; here "swaging" means to increase it which solves a hole different problem from ours.

As for a potentially useful Mastercool tool, I meant to ask about the 71500, used for crimping A/C hoses (all in imperial sizes, eg 1/2" or 5/8") and in fact I asked a local A/C shop if they thought their machine would work on the "in between" size of our fuel hose (a little under 5/8") and they didn't know . Since I subsequently decided to make new A/C hoses which have to be crimped I'll get the 71500 (or equivalent) and as a side project try it on some 15 mm hose with BelMetrics sleeves and see what happens. If it appears to work maybe I'll redo the working fuel hose with fabric covered and crimps just to get that last little bit of concours-winning bling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way if you are expecting to replace your AC hose with fabric covered be prepared for disappointment. Newco says nobody makes it anymore. I do have a call into AP about that but he's out of town until tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
After all this you settled on Gates made in America from Pep Boys.. well done.
LOL, Romablock hose clamps are readily available from many sources -even on eBay! Regarding fabric covered hose, I recently got some for the power steering on my 164 from Jason at Alfissimo International; not sure if it would be suitable for Freon though...probably not.

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After all this you settled on Gates made in America from Pep Boys.. well done.
I had only so much time to get it out of the shop, and I had already used much of that up following glib suggestions that were based on other people’s unexamined google searches that turned out to be wild goose chases. I take it unfollowing isn’t working?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts