Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Yep, you've expressed this shortcoming before. Best recommendation is to "know your roads" and use "sport" and "auto" appropriately. Also consider how "full" you are, using "auto" with 4 or more people in the car is not a good idea.

Here is the sister video on CDS, this time the star of the show is... drum roll... a 164 QV. My, these videos are complete, this one even better and more detailed than the Lancia version. Regular 16-spoke Speedline wheels look pretty good on a QV.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Fascinating videos. Thanks for showing them. I liked the picture of the white car drifting. Nice control.

"Yep, you've expressed this shortcoming before. Best recommendation is to "know your roads" and use "sport" and "auto" appropriately. Also consider how "full" you are, using "auto" with 4 or more people in the car is not a good idea".

Yup, been there. True, you never know what the road will be like. Thus, since we don't care for the auto setting anyway, the S remains in Sport. We're happy.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Are old 24v 164 Cloverleaf electronic front struts worth rebuilding if you don't have a Cloverleaf? Picked up a pair but no idea what to do with them. Keep them for a maybe conversion one day??

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would also keep them or hand over to someone else, if you don't need them.

Great videos! Have seen something similar years ago.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Had this posted in the "what did you do......" thread earlier but moving to a Boge thread.

Wrestling with the left Boge strut installation all morning. Verified the numbers and parts to make sure nothing swapped (left site strut, 60565955) and the spring perches (no holes in left parts) and I just cant get the strut mounting points to line up with the hub body. More of an alignment of parts issue. Any secrets? if I try to jack the strut, it moves to the front. I don't want to risk the thread holes by forcing things in place with a screwdriver.
Referring to the left-right strut question I posted earlier, the "do not open in German" bump is supposed to be facing the rear of the car but when I look at the strut identification numbers and marks from the mounting plates, the left strut has the solenoid facing the front of the car.
So, getting a bit confused here.

Also, attaching a few images showing the identifying "hole" in the right side perches and top ring plus the dimple in the rubber pad. You can also see the double ridge that lines up with the indent on the plate and the resting position of the spring on the lower perch. The middle image shows the orientation of the top plate on the top perch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
See my last answer to your previous post.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #148 (Edited)
"but when I look at the strut identification numbers and marks from the mounting plates, the left strut has the solenoid facing the front of the car. So, getting a bit confused here."

Del is correct, solenoid cap points to front, not rear, as I previously posted.

Del's suggestion about jacking each side equally will help you alignment wise, and then apply some muscle.

S strut 60565956 is destro/right
S strut 60565955 is sinistro/left
Q strut 60593473 is destro/right (see attached eper reference)
Q strut 60593472 is sinistro/left (ditto)

Here is picture of 60593473 from DiFatta's ebay offer, a right side strut with solenoid pointing to front.

Attachments

·
Registered
-88 Lancia Thema 8.32. -98 Maserati Quattroporte 3.2 Evoluzione. -78 Ferrari 400GT 5-Speed
2 Posts
Hi,

I am at the moment rebuilding the Boge CDS on my Thema 8.32. I have looked at the CNC machined seal carrier offered for the Alfa Boge CDS but they are specific for the Alfa 164 strut with 46mm top diameter - the 8.32 has 49mm. Instead I have found a substitute for the original top seal. They fit like the originals and looks to be of good quality. The ONLY place I could find correct seals for sale was in Hungary with a company called Germalex. SKF and others do make these seals but only sells them to strut manufacturers - not even strut repair shops.

Germalex offers a wide range of these seals and they are fairly priced. 22x46x4/11 seal for Alfa 164 is on top page 13 "Shock Absorber Seals" - choose Type FS51 for correct type and equal to original.

If you see the pictures the top seals are the old ones and bottom new ones. Don't mind the white residue - it just talcum powder.

English version : Germalex

Regards,
Arvid

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Thank you for sharing this. The seal carriers work because we have lots of 8-32 people who have done the rebuild, in fact, for the most recent batch of carrier machining, the operation has now moved to the UK and is being overseen by a paar of 8-32 owners, and they are currently offering the carrier to their Lancia members. At this point I am only the intermediary for procuring the SFK seals which are easy to source here in the US through a Bilstein dealer. Your discovery of a top seal with only one part of the original Boge "2 in 1" seal, is nice, but it will not work, you need a double action seal (like the original), or go the route of the carrier that house the two SKF seals.

·
Registered
-88 Lancia Thema 8.32. -98 Maserati Quattroporte 3.2 Evoluzione. -78 Ferrari 400GT 5-Speed
2 Posts
I bought the carrier seal kit and started the repair but the carrier was 46mm diameter - the 8.32 struts has 49mm inner diameter tube so that would not work. I have spoken to the UK seller and he replies that there are two types of Boge struts - one for the 164 and another for 8.32.

According to this repair manual the 164 has the same type of seal as mentioned : http://berlinasportivo.com/Technical/lancia/Thema832/Boge rebuild Alfa.pdf

Maybe there are several types of Boge struts ?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A few years ago, I managed to buy a complete low mileage (54K Miles) set of 164-S struts. They have been stored in the garage ever since. While changing the oil in my 'S' a few weeks ago, I leaned on the inner left front fender and noticed the fender dropped about 1/2" or more. Leaning on the right front inner fender did not produce any noticeable drop. Noting something was wrong, I looked under the car and noticed a clear bluish green fluid -under the left front strut. The strut itself was covered in oil as well. Since I almost always drive in 'Sport' mode, I did not even notice that the strut was loosing fluid. Only occasionally I would briefly test the 'Auto' setting, just to make sure it still worked. I never cared for the land yacht ride qualities of the Auto setting. With the 54K strut cartridge swapped in place of the bad one (stored in the garage); the 'Auto' setting now seems to produce a tolerable ride quality. This makes me wonder if the strut has been bad for a long time, since I am the original owner; either that or my taste in ride harshness has changed.

In all of my years on the ABB, this is probably one of the most through and complex subjects I have seen covered. Many years ago I remember when Pinino first commented on rebuilding struts for the 164-S. Back then, my struts were working fine so I did not closely follow this thread. My what an accomplishment, from both an individual and international standpoint. I am amazed! I don't know if I should rebuild the one strut that is known to be bad or not. Are the machined parts and seals still available?

Congratulations,
Mark

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Good man, that "Pinino". Did rebuild the struts on my 91S, using parts and directions from him and, Richard2, who did his first.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts