Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi all,

After a broken strut from a friend his "90 S i picked up this topic, i will make some seal carriers, if there is intereset from here please let me know via PM. After a invent of amount i can have calculated a price per piece.

Hendrik

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Hi all,

After a broken strut from a friend his "90 S i picked up this topic, i will make some seal carriers, if there is intereset from here please let me know via PM. After a invent of amount i can have calculated a price per piece.

Hendrik
Hendrik,

There is no need to have them made, I have several unclaimed sets in my office, great quality from a machinist who really does meticulous work. Price $15 per carrier, plus combined shipping (to Europe) of $15, $75 total. (I also have a single carrier if that is all you need)

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Both Richard2 and I have rebuilt our S struts using the 'Pinino' seal carriers, and everything worked out very well. In fact Richard bought another set, which he is super pleased with so I hear. I recommend them. Will buy another set myself this summer, just in case I decide to rebuild the other set of used struts I have (will require at least one rod to be rechromed, alas).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Buongiorno Pinino,

I'm in search of one or two of your Magical Seal Carriers. PM sent.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Hello Alfisti,

It seems that every once and a while it becomes difficult to obtain those wonderful elastomeric Bilstein/SKF seals for the CDS rebuild--it happened to Richard2 and Del, and now to an Alfisti in Scandinavia.

So then we have to go back on the internet and track down a new dealer, as Bilstein does not sell directly to the public. I just scored some for my new Norwegian friend from "Offroadwarehouse", tel. 1 800 341-7757. Ask for "Don", give him the Bilstein part numbers 194044 & 194432, they are just $4 each and Bilstein will drop ship for $10.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have followed this thread with lots of interest and it is great to see that it is possible to do. However, I realised that I was not going to be able to do this myself, so I found a place in Poland, where they can do this (also had steering racks rebuild there), so this info is mainly for European owners of 164s (and Lancia Thema/Fiat Croma).

This place in Gdansk did the work and it looks really good to me, however, performance remains to be tested for when the parts are put in my Q4:

Regeneration of shock-absorbers

You can read more about it in my thread here:

Alfa Romeo 164 Register.com ? View topic - Long time road going 164 Q4 1994 project

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Allan, what an interesting and important find. In USD that comes to about $270 per strut. The shop looks like mine. Just kidding, but many of the sights in the video remind me (and for sure others) of our work, the undoing of the gland nut, undoing of the shim stack, slipping off/on of the internals rings, rigorous washing of the parts, examination of the solenoid valve, dismantling of the CDS sleeve, pouring of the fluid, repainting, etc. The one photo of the top of the unit that you provide in your Alfa Digest post, with whitish seal, reminds me of the Bilstein/SKF 1940044 that we are using. Do you happen to know what seals they used? The strut dyno is very different from ours and the performance plot too (it looks like a whole grain kernel). Keep us informed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
"In USD that comes to about $270 per strut"

That's much less than the cost of new ones (~$700/800 ea), if there were any for sale, but certainly more than if you rebuild them yourself. I wonder what shipping would be to the US, if they sold rebuilts? Probably a lot, shipping costs going through the roof these days.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
$700/800 is yesteryear's prices. I've seen c.$1200 a piece and as high as $1500 for Q4 struts (a different spec than what Allan has). But for us shipping costs to send a set—to and from Poland—wouldn't be cheap, maybe in the vicinity of $400-500.

On another note, I don't see a Schraeder valve on Allan's set, I wonder how they charged them.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't know exactly what they did, I also looked at the video and contacted them and decided to use them. You are right that there is no valve, so what they did to charge them is a good question. But at this price I can live with having this company rebuild them in 10 years time ;)

I provided them with your guide to rebuilding the units, when asking about the possibility of rebuilding the boge struts, whether they looked at it or not, I don't know.

If you can find new ones (and the rear Q4 struts are specific to this model), they are expensive and after 20+ years on a shelf probably not 100% functional...

I will try and take more detailed photos of the seal, next time I am in the garage (January).

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
"$700/800 is yesteryear's prices"

difatta does have six new front ones for sale for ~$700 ea on eBay.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have received the reconditioned struts from South Africa, here are some photos. These were more rusty than the Alfa ones.

I have also taken close-ups of the seal in the Q4 struts. From what I can see, the text is 'Top-Gun-D-L 022'. I have not looked it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Those struts not only looks rusted, but don't have the Schrader valves added so pressure can be topped up.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
I thought you said Poland, now you got another set from S. Africa? Wow what a Weltenbummler.

My first impression of the set shown in your picture above is that they are ungassed, because they are in the completely compressed position without any banding (= 0 pressure). I imagine that even new gassed struts loose their gas after a time, and cavitation is just normal, diminishing performance (especially when driven really hard), but still not dreadful. My current CDS struts, 26+ years with 69K couldn't possibly have any gas left in them and they still seem pretty spunky.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
They were gassed up at the factory with on means for adding gas. However, most of us that have rebuilt them have added a Schrader valve so they can be initially charged and pressure can be checked and topped up when needed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
No valve for regassing, but then they will be 'reconditioned' again, when needed.

The place in Poland I found after having delivered the Lancia struts in South Africa. Yes, they are easier to compress than expected, so the proof is when they are mounted in the cars, to see performance, also between Auto and Sport.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Fellow CDS'er, this is a must see video on the the CDS system as it pertains to the Lancia Thema 8.32, the first Italian production car outfitted with the special electronic suspension (1988), the same system that was later wedded to the Alfa 164 QV, S, Q, Q4. It's an astoundingly detailed video showing and explaining all aspects of the CDS system with real auto and vivid graphics. The title of the video is a misnomer, it has nothing to do with self leveling.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Very interesting.

I was somewhat surprised to find out that the vertical motion sensor is in the rear, the trunk, rather than somewhere else. I found that on some roads, the front shocks when on "auto" would not prevent the front spoiler from potentially contacting the ground when hitting a change in pavement inclination, the rear of the car, of course, not knowing that the change in pavement was hitting the front tires. Would like to know how they decided that location.

When the setting is in the "sport" mode, that contact is much less likely to happen. So, for the driving on certain roads we have on some routes we normally take for our chores (grocery store, the local mall, etc), I always leave the 91S setting on "Sport". Both of us prefer that setting for basically all of our driving/riding in that car anyway.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts