Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
You're not stepping on my toes for sure, I welcome any such efforts on your part. At the same time I must warn you of the pitfalls of managing bulk orders, 1) someone has to take responsibility that the piece gets made correctly, and 2) arranging group orders are in my experience a disaster. In my case I put out $720 for the manufacture of 48 and it was slow and tedious work to sell them (at cost!), scatlin being the last. I naively thought our European friends or mechanics would snap some up--not a single sale. I still have not received word on the possibility of doing another batch (in Australia), possibly cheaper this time (old price was c.$15 a piece including overseas shipping), that is, if 48 were run again. The specs as far as I know are precisely laid out in the strut rebuild manual, so anyone with a CNC friend can go this route (better, of course, if CNC friend owes you a favor). I have a guy in upstate NY who gave me a quote last year, about $300 CNC setup, + $5 per piece, a figure that I would expect that most shops around the country could match. One BBer told me of an online service that was very inexpensive, my only reservation here was quality control and who would be responsible if the batch arrived out out of spec.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Drawing file

Is there a 3D drawing file of the seals? I've finally found someone who I think can do it nice and reasonably but he's asking if we have a drawing file or is it just the pic in the pdf?

Cheers
Kerry.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think Ben said he made one final edit to those drawings pinino to make the machining simpler. I have pinged him again for the file.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
That may be, just keep in mind that those "rims" for the seals are basically to keep them captive so the dimensions are not terribly critical. Here is a copy of the pm I sent to AlfettaGTAm which may be useful to others:

pinino said:
Dear Kerry,

I have two drawings of the seal carriers, one 3D and the other a side view, links to each are below (just "drag" them to you desktop, then you can enlarge). The two creation dates of the files are respectively Aug 16, 2011 and July 31, 2011, thus the 3D drawing is newer and contains a couple of last minute refinements. I see that one of the refinements was the dimension of the middle "rim" (the rim that separates the two seals), 22.5 instead of 22.2. This was done to avoid any possible rubbing of the shaft on the aluminum rim should there be any rod wobble. I also see that the height of the bottom seal groove is 6.4 instead of 6.3. The Bilstein seal carrier which I actually bought to compare is more generous here (7.2), but Ben and I agreed that 6.4 was a good figure since the u-cup only has a height of 6.31. Give me a holler if you have any further questions. --Steven

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is there a 3D drawing file of the seals? I've finally found someone who I think can do it nice and reasonably but he's asking if we have a drawing file or is it just the pic in the pdf?

Cheers
Kerry.
alfettaGTAm,

Please put me down for a set of four carriers if you get a group purchase together.

Thanks!

- Jason

·
Registered
79 Posts
So, i downloaded the manual (many and special thanx to the people that done all the work) and ready to be the first european i guess that will rebuild the QV/S struts.

If anyone of you will order the carriers please let me know, i also will have a look in The Netherlands if someone can CNC them...

Can the carriers be made of aluminum or does it have to be steel?

I have 4 front struts and 2 rear so lots of work to do...
I will report my work on our Dutch site....

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
You should use aluminum, much easier to machine. Here in the States it's called 6000 aluminum, same as the Bilstein seal carrier, from which we adapted the SKF seals. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

One of my QV's rear shock absorber has now started to leak.
I was happy to find this "how to".
But I can't find any of the seals from polyperformance.com.
Is the parts not available any more?
The only part I found on their website is a schrader valve, but the price is more than 3 times higher /each.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Since you are in Sweden the folks at polyperfomance in California are probably not a good source for you and they will overcharge you for postage. I'll be happy to act as an intermediary, BUT, first, see if you can locate the seals in Sweden or Denmark, or Germany from a hydraulic store by the SKF numbers. MPS-022-030-04,5-DT and UBR-125-00.875-250. These are the numbers embossed on seal. This SKF catalog may be helpful.

http://www.hitechseals.com/includes/pdf/Suppliers Literature/SKF Polyseal Catalogue.pdf

On page 16 you will see how the seals are designated, I just learned myself that MPS is metrice and UBR is inches.

To be truthful, I don't know if a Bilstein 9100 racing strut is exclusively an American thing, or also a unit marketed in Europe. Anyway don't fear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In Holland will be used 6082 aluminum.
I found a supplier for the seal in Holland almost $ 11 a piece, still looking for a store that can deliver cheaper, a friend made a seal carrier CAD 3d drawing for me, production of a carrier in Holland is $ 20 till $ 39 a piece.

hendrik

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
skf seals

YellowSprint: I just went to the Martin Fluids website and searched for the SKF seals by their numbers:

MPSU-022.0X030.0X07.0B

UBR-125-00.875-250

They come up as $4.80 and $5.15 each. When I added them to my "cart" for some reason unknown to me a 40% discount was applied (perhaps searching by part no. makes me a dealer??!! ) Anyway, I didn't complete the transaction as I don't need any seals personally. If I did, I would assume UPS shipping to NY would be about $10. Then from NY to Europe about $15 (that's if I sent them myself). Anyway, that's the news from NY today.

Fasani: That's promising news that you found a shop that can make the seal carriers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Dear all,

I have updated the rebuild manual to show a different source for the wiper and rod seals and schrader valves (from polyperformance.com to bilsteinoffroad.com). Martin Fluid (mfpseals.com) is also a good source for the seals. I just placed an order for a complete set (8 seals altogether) and will report back on pricing and accuracy of the parts. When using the bilsteinoffroad.com site, go to "parts", then "9100". For the schrader valves just type in the search box "schrader valves".

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Please disregard my recommendation for seals from Martin Fluid, I just received my order and compared them carefully to the SKF seals. No comparison, the SKF are much more elastic and the design more sophisticated. So, if you need struts seals for your Alfa CDS rebuilding project get SKF, the ones Bilstein uses in their 9100 strut. bilsteinoffroad.com is a good source. The part nos. are 194044 (upper wiper seal) and 194432 (lower u-cup seal).

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
4/6/15: seal carriers available again

Dear All,

Over the last couple of weeks I found a new CNC machinist and just received the first specimens today and they are perfect. Same price as before, $15 apiece, plus shipping. Shipping within the US $5.50 for set of 4, to Europe $15.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Boy, I sure like the effort you put into these cars. Thank you.

I'm trying to screw up my courage to rebuild the struts on my 91S late this Spring or Summer. At least I won't have to get the strut shafts rechromed, as they have no (or very little) corrosion at the very top. To me the bugaboo will be getting the schraeder valves installed, as if not done correctly, the strut could be ruined.

Hmmm, I wonder what these struts would be like if they were not pressurized, not that I really plan on doing that.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Ahhhh, great, thanks Pinino. I need another set, but not in a rush. PM sent.

Del...the bosses for the Schrader Valves need to be TIG welded. I had the bosses welded on before I drilled the hole so I could pressure test the weld.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Thanks, Richard. Getting closer, need to order the seals the kit uses, Pentosin fluid, new bellows and strut lower bearings.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Seal carriers arrived today. Thanks again, Pinino. The last set was really good quality. These are even better:)

101 - 120 of 153 Posts