Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make sure I get all this right, so I want to double-check a couple things on the rebuild.

Question #1:

First, I have an issue (I think) with the safety pins that prevent you from accidentally engaging two gears at once. And, I have an issue with the little roller bearings that go into springs on the other end of the transmission to make it "click" into gears. The two may be related....when I disassembled the tranny months ago, I removed the three-barrel plate and pieces for the roller bearings, mistakenly thinking that would help me extricate the main shaft/syncro sleeves from the shift forks. I thought I collected all the springs and bearings. I also removed the 1st-2nd shift rod, because the bolt that connects it to the shift fork had sheared and had to be drilled out. I collected all the little bits that fell out (plate and security washer under the sheared bolt, for instance) and saved them. Now I have the following:

- Two roller ball bearings

- Three safety pins/long bearing pins

I think I'm missing two safety pins/long "bearings", and one roller bearing. If I understand correctly, two long pins go into the interlock area of the shift rods, and three go between the springs and caps at the other end of the transmission. And three roller bearings go between those three springs and the shift rods....correct? They are mostly likely chilling in the yard somewhere................

Question #2:

What's the best method for installing the main shaft/syncro sleeves back into the casing/shift forks? The manual says to heat the shift forks to 302*F, but I can't really tell if they are supposed to be in the casing at that time, or if you should stick them on the syncro sleeves first, then drop the whole assembly into the casing. Is it absolutely necessary to heat the forks (and therefore, the casing, unless I can drop them into the casing, install the shift rods, and torque down all three shift rod bolts before the forks cool off), or can I wedge them in there without the heat?

Question #3:

This one is a bit late, but when I was installing all the gears onto the main shaft, I hammered one of the half-moon wedges into the shaft pretty deep. So deep, in fact, that the wedge only protrudes into its corresponding gear about 50%-75% of the depth of the slot in the gear. Is this a concern? I'm thinking not, but I would sure hate for the wedge to shear off because it didn't have enough meat in the gear....though there is another wedge 180* from this one, so it's not all alone.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
As to #3 - the only time you need to heat anything is when assembling the main shaft. Cool the shaft and heat the try-cross shift yokes - they are a slight interference fit. Once the main shaft is properly assembled, no heat is needed to fit anything.

Slide the bronze shift rings on the main shaft, loosen the nuts on each shift fork, slide the front and rear mains haft sections into the forks and it should drop nicely into the bearing spaces in the lower case half. Then center and adjust the shift forks and tighten their nuts.

BTW - read the thread no "First gear fix". Every TX should have this mod before it gets reassembled!

Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts