Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked in the glove compartment recently and UGH! Wire to map light fried… melted, and the #2 fuse was blown. Heard there were a recall and the possibility of map light causing a fire. I checked and yep there was one. Have had the Spider for about 6 years. Don’t drive it much and bothered less to check the glove compartment very often.

Just rebuild the map light, heaver coiled wire, new spade connectors, little super glue on weak plastic parts inside the light. Changed out the 20amp (?) fuse for a 7.5amp. The grey wire going to the fuse box looked fine, not damaged. Power to the light is tied to ignition key ON.

The bracket that holds the light works so: When the light is inserted (correctly) in the bracket the map light switch is put in the OFF position. When you with draw the light from the bracket it flips the switch on the side and turns the light ON. Again removing the light from the bracket turns it ON.

My guess is the light turned ON somehow (i.e. not fully inserted in the bracket or came out of the bracket), was left ON for days, even weeks. The very light wire in the coiled section going to the light got hot melted and shorted blowing the fuse. The 5watt blub was OK.

Anyone else modify the map light to work…….. or should I just pull the #2 fuse for safety reasons.
Ron

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,511 Posts
My guess is the light turned ON somehow (i.e. not fully inserted in the bracket or came out of the bracket), was left ON for days, even weeks. The very light wire in the coiled section going to the light got hot melted and shorted blowing the fuse.
My understanding is that that's the reason for the recall, yes. There was a revised map light and mount that were issued to fix the issue but I don't believe they're available from Alfa any more.

It's not a very useful light so you might just want to remove it. Alternatively you could fix the wiring and replace the 5W bulb with an LED...that'll pull about 1/10th the current so future overheating and failure will be unlikely even if it gets stuck on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts