Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct in thinking that when fitting shorter springs on the back (Alfaholics C) that one needs to cut the strap and re-drill to ensure that the springs are kept in their place - and don't have the ability to leave their allotted space?

This then poses the question - how much do I remove if I possibly want to raise the back up with a spacer......?

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that when fitting shorter springs on the back (Alfaholics C) that one needs to cut the strap and re-drill to ensure that the springs are kept in their place - and don't have the ability to leave their allotted space?
Yes, that's exactly right. If the rear springs become loose when the differential assembly is at full droop, they can fall out of the cups on the trailing arms.

This then poses the question - how much do I remove ?
Enough so that the springs are just starting to get loose when the straps become tight. With the straps disconnected, lower the axle until the springs can be rattled - then raise it back up a bit. Pull the straps tight, and mark where the holes need to go.

I possibly want to raise the back up with a spacer......
Well, then you need to buy another set of straps. You can shorten them, but can't readily lengthen them!

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
I have driven my car for 20 years with the straps removed and have shortened Berlina springs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have driven my car for 20 years with the straps removed and have shortened Berlina springs.
As there is about 2" of gap with the axle lowered onto the current straps - that would worry me if I didn't have any. Fine if you have the wheels on the ground I suppose...

Thanks, AlfaJay - you confirmed what I thought - and hey, a set of straps is fairly cheap!! :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And for those who want a picture.....
As you can see it's all fairly low! And believe me the original springs were I think rally ones and a pig to remove!!
Now, where are those scissors.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Keep in mind that shortening the straps will reduce the amount of rear body roll before the straps start acting on the axle. This may reduce traction on the inside tire when cornering.

·
Super Moderator
12,063 Posts
Thanks, AlfaJay - you confirmed what I thought - and hey, a set of straps is fairly cheap!! :)
Yes, though the job of replacing them can be a pain in the &^%$#, especially if the phillips screws that secure them are corroded.

Keep in mind that shortening the straps will reduce the amount of rear body roll before the straps start acting on the axle. This may reduce traction on the inside tire when cornering.
That's a good point. Does it suggest that it is better to lower a car by using springs with less stiffness, but the original free length (so the limit strap length can remain unchanged), instead of simply cutting down the stock springs or using shorter/stiffer springs?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You should be able to get springs that lower the car but remain captured at full droop. Here in Australia, Kings Springs sell a couple of different specs that will do that (from memory 150lb/in and 200lb/in - or something like that). Alternatively, variable rate springs may be available (I used to have some in my gtv6).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should be able to get springs that lower the car but remain captured at full droop. Here in Australia, Kings Springs sell a couple of different specs that will do that (from memory 150lb/in and 200lb/in - or something like that). Alternatively, variable rate springs may be available (I used to have some in my gtv6).
Well, here in the UK I've gone for the springs that are sold by Alfaholics (C) and having now checked with them they advise in trimming the straps until the gap with the spring and locator cup is minimal Just as AlfaJay confirmed. Matt

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
excellent - good that you managed to sort that out in between nightly rioting in the streets ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
173 Posts
women's beach volleyball

Good to see that they have their priorities straight. :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts