Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the 80's I owned a GTC that was full of bog, but a nice driver. In 1989 someone offered me a good price for the car, so I sold it and it went to Japan.
As soon as it was gone I missed that fun car a lot and started searching for an other on. That is when I made my "barn find". I found the 1966 GTC chassis number AR 760 101, engine Number AR 00502 17261, Touring Conversion Number
17549 perched on two wooden boards across a unused Swimming pool and covered with an aluminum boat for protection. The car had been given to an Italian guy by his parents as a wedding present and was delivered to him new in 1966 by a Sydney Alfa dealer. At first glance it looked relatively sound even tough it had a 1750 engine, as well as seats out of a 1750 series 1 coupe fitted.
There was also some crummy after market steering wheel. Luck for me, the owner had kept the original engine. After long negotiations and paying an astronomical price (half of what I sold my first GTC for, I finally loaded the car on a trailer and took it to the shed of one of my friends and started working on it. Little did I know that it would be a 9 year labor of love. I won't bore you with all the gory details but will let my photographic record of the restoration speak for itself

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After painting and rustproofing the chassis, the outside panels can go back on and be painted and the car returns to my friends mechanical workshop

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Little did I know that it would be a 9 year labor of love. I won't bore you with all the gory details but will let my photographic record of the restoration speak for itself
What can I say but wow! That's about as comprehensive a rebuild as I've ever seen, very, very nice!

Now, try not to sell this one, ok?

Thanks for sharing..

bs

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nine years of weekends of hard labor, the end result: a stunningly beautiful car.
All parts are original, some like the GTA steering wheel, the limited slip diff and the ATE brakes are period option.I sourced the new parts used for the restoration from all over the world, USA, Germany, Switzerland and Italy. All internal engine parts and the suspension parts are brand new.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally some arty pictures of the completed project.
Unfortunately I had to let the car go, due to a lack of storage facilities, but it found a good new home in Melbourne, Victoria.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I hope you can go visit it. I could never sell either of my cars, way too much time and energy has been put into them to let them go.

Will

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bye GTC

Thank you fellows for your kind comments. Yes it was very hard to let the GTC go. Having four cars was just too much of a luxury for my budget. I had great fun re-building the car and searching for the parts, but the time came, when it was standing in the garage most of the time and getting very little use. I live on a farm in the countryside and a lot of our roads are unsealed, so every new stone chip on that beautiful body hurt. I think that we are only custodians of those beautiful machines and the time had come to let someone else enjoy that GTC. Having said all this, I still miss my little red friend. Sometimes I think I will need a new challenge soon, so if anyone knows of a "dirt cheap" 33 Stradale, let me know. The 4R could go on the market to finance such a project.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you fellows for your kind comments. Yes it was very hard to let the GTC go. Having four cars was just too much of a luxury for my budget. I had great fun re-building the car and searching for the parts, but the time came, when it was standing in the garage most of the time and getting very little use. I live on a farm in the countryside and a lot of our roads are unsealed, so every new stone chip on that beautiful body hurt. I think that we are only custodians of those beautiful machines and the time had come to let someone else enjoy that GTC. Having said all this, I still miss my little red friend. Sometimes I think I will need a new challenge soon, so if anyone knows of a "dirt cheap" 33 Stradale, let me know. The 4R could go on the market to finance such a project.
can you come to alfesta 2007? here are the detailshttp://www.alfaclubsa.org.au/info/2007-Alfesta.htm

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
what a great project.........letting her go must have been extremly difficult

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rebuild Inspiration

That is some real nice work, thanks for posting. I appreciate all those "during" restoration shots showing just how far people have, and can go taking these Alfas back to get rid of the "tin worm". It gives me a bit more incentive as I'm on the grey primer and lots of rust still to cut out stage of a '65 2600 spider, which feels like it will never be done:(
Again thanks for posting I must go down the workshop and get on with my Alfa:D

Regards

Bryan

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts