Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on some of your spiders, that you guys have made a plexi rear wind deflector. Do any of you have plans on how you did it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I used a piece of 1/4" plex from Home Depot 24" X 48". I basically roughed it out by eye, then test fitted it and trimmed as needed. Took me about 3 tries to get it so that the top opens and closes without any interference.

I'll measure mine and post dimensions tonite.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I made one of these using Paradiso's plan. It wasn't too hard, and what a difference. I can even listen to (hear) the radio at 70! Plexi cost me $30.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The plexiglass deflector looks great and I'm going to build one right away. Thanks for the pictures.

Last year my wife and I drove our '76 Spider from northern Kentucky to Watkins Glen NY -- over 500 miles. We were buffetted like crazy by the wind and decided we had to do something different for the return trip. I stretched an XXL t-shirt over the headrests and it worked like a charm even though it wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
517 Posts
For Alfapwr: The headrests make an easy attachment point, but without the need to fit between the shoulderbelts, you could make the deflector wide enough to attach to the sides under the top or to the edge of the seats? Or if you could find a way to brace it from the rear that might work too. I just went out for a spin (un-bungeed), and the wind forces against the deflector are pretty neutral anyhow.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I used a circular saw to make the straight cuts, then for the corners, several straight cuts tangent to the radius of the curve, finished off by a little smoothing with a belt sander. As Paradiso said, a few minor adjustments to make sure the top clears the deflector. If I were doing it again, I'd make the adjustments first, then do the belt sanding. The plexi gums up a belt pretty quickly, so the less sanding the better.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yep, I used a jig saw and sandpaper to finish it off.
I used the clay plate from under a large flower pot to mark the radius - high tech indeed!

It seems to me that while it certainly needs to be attached, it doesn't need to be heavily anchored. The force is mainly from behind which pushes it against the back of the seats. Any unobtrusive method that basically holds it in place should be enough.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That looks fantastic. It sure beats the black screen most convertibles have and that IAP sells.
Awesome job fabricating it, looks like you spent mondo dinero!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was tired of talking to my wife in the car and having her say "what"? After reading the thread, I also went to Home Depot and purchased the 1/4" plexiglass. I have a role bar installed so I shaped it to fit inside the roll bar and attached it with black cable ties. I fabricated it so is sit on the floor of the rear deck and goes to the inside top of the role bar. My question is does the wind deflector need to go all the down to the floor as I have it now or can it be cut off somewhere below the headrest and still acheive the desired results? It would be nice if I could cut it off as it would provide more accessibility.

Greg
1988 Spider Graduate

·
Registered
540 Posts
About to run to home depot to pick up the plexi glass, but first two questions:

1. Does the thickness of the plexiglass have to be 1/4"? is that the most efficient width?
2. What exactly is the "support system" made out of? bungee cord and hooks? or is it a complete part called ____?

Thanks guys, this is a brilliant idea

1 - 20 of 54 Posts