Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to remove the rear wheel hubs on an '84 GTV6? I got the nut off, and have tried prying the hub out but with no luck. I thought I should make sure it's okay to be rough on them before I break out the big hammer. :eek: If anyone knows of an easier way, do tell. BTW the dedion and trans are out of the car and the half-shafts are out already.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Do you mean the rear wheel bearings? They require a puller, one of which I have. I am wiling to loan out, or you can buy one at International Autoparts. Three of my alfettas have needed them replaced. Not a fun job. I had mechanics do them. -Clark

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah bearings, how much to borrow the tool? Also how does it work, it's not like a pulley pulling tool is it?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The tool has one part that fits inside the housing against the bearing and the other fits on the outside of the housing with a big bolt that goes through both parts, tighten the bolt and the old bearing comes out, you will also need the tool to put the new bearing in. It makes the job easier!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It's a press that operates by an outer ring mating up to the dedion bearing carrier, then a smaller round component then sits against the bearing, then there's a large screw with a 19mm nut that you turn. As you turn the bolt down on the screw, it presses the old bearing out, then you flip the tool around and press the new bearing in. You will also need another tool to remove the wheel bearing lock rings. It looks like a 6 pointed star. I don't have that. Do you have an Alfa workshop anywhere nearby?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not sure, but the closest one is around 150 miles away. I am trying to get the dedion broken down completely and cleaned. I hope to convert to outboard brakes, so I need the hubs and everything out. Then I am reassembling everything.

EDIT: There may be one about 15 miles from me, I looked through hundreds of search results at yellowbook.com, so I will have to check it out tomm. I would still rather do the work myself but if i can rent that 6 pointed tool it would make the job easier.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts