Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need to replace the rear left bearing of my 75 Turbo.
Can it be done at home without taking out the Dion brige?
Does it nead any special tool?

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you very mutch.
I see its a pain...
I´m going to ask a shop to replace it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just did my Verde , Left side ( drivers). one thing I did learn via someone's prior attempt was that the retaining ring is reverse thread. Otherwise it wasnt that difficult. I did have to make a tool to remove the retaining ring. A square piece of 1/4 inch plate with a Large nut welded to it. I used a Air gun to remove, also a slide hammer to remove old, and used the old bearing to press in the new one. I did this on the car while is was on a post lift.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I just did driver's side on 84 GTV6 (internal "tooth" type retainer). Driver side on the DeDion (or "left" side) is reverse threaded (clockwise loosens it). And boy was it tight. After de-staking the thing it took a good 10 seconds + on the impact gun to start to loosen it. But once moving, it came out.

Be sure to clean the DeDion (pictured) and lather it in anti-seize. I used a mild scotchbrite to clean the surfaces and used a nice high-temp anti seize.

Didn't need to remove the DeDion. Was done on jackstands on the rear of the DeDion right under the springs.

I removed the shock absorber to allow easier removal of the halfshaft bolts. This was a crucial step for me as the halfshaft bolts were VERY tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car went to the workshop to replace the bearing.
Now its running fine, without any noise.

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The quality is not there. I did buy some tools and most of them don't fit right, finishing is bad..

One word the quality sucks!
Hmm... I bought some tools there some years ago and had no issues at all.
Jes

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Maybe you should try the top dead center tool.....total crap. Also the de dion rear wheel bearing retaining tool, I had to make some modification to get it fit. It would have been easier if I made it myself. Don't let me speak again with the TDC tool with gauge, I am glad I know how to set the TDC so that tool was useless too.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I do have his tool for the rear wheel bearing retaining ring. Can't you return tools and get a refund if they are that poor?
Jes

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
This was 2 years ago. I did file the edges of the retaining ring remover to make it work. For the TDC tool he said I am still trying testing this tool.....I don't get it if it's not working than don't sell it.
I didn't feel returning it was an option, since I paid so much for shipping, than shipping it back it was going to be even more.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Are you guys using the tool to torque the retainer ring back in or is there another way?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts