Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the milano board. I just got a fairly low milage verde a month ago and am currently sorting through it issues. I know the wheel bearing topic has been discussed several times. From what I can tell a slide hammer is used to remove the wheel hub. Then the lock out ring can be cut or banged out with a punch. The wheel bearing can be removed/installed with the alfa tool. My question is where can you get an adapter to tighten the new "spanner Style" wheel bearing lockout ring to 160 ft/lbs (per service manual)? Does it need to be tightened that much? I heard a lot of people reuse the old lockout ring if it is not damaged. How is that tightened? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Anthony,
Check the tool section at Pep Boys, etc. The tool for truck wheel bearing retainers will work on the Alfa retainer ring. So, take a new ring to the store and match the diameter. The tool is not expensive, but a torque wrench capable of more than 160 lb-ft would be expensive (so try to borrow one). Oh, and be sure to check the new bearings for grease -- I'd swear that the original bearings in most Milanos I've known must not have had any grease from day one (they all look suspiciously dry when you get them out). And don't be surprised if one of the old bearing races is hard to remove from the hub.
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I am new to the milano board. I just got a fairly low milage verde a month ago and am currently sorting through it issues. I know the wheel bearing topic has been discussed several times. From what I can tell a slide hammer is used to remove the wheel hub. Then the lock out ring can be cut or banged out with a punch. The wheel bearing can be removed/installed with the alfa tool. My question is where can you get an adapter to tighten the new "spanner Style" wheel bearing lockout ring to 160 ft/lbs (per service manual)? Does it need to be tightened that much? I heard a lot of people reuse the old lockout ring if it is not damaged. How is that tightened? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hey Anthony,

I've got the tool, and a 3/4" wrench to go along with it.

You know where to find me.

Welcome to the BB.

bs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts