Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The glass on my rear view mirror is now quite discoloured/tarnished. is it possible to replace the glass only? if so can they be bought new?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Glass is glass.

Take your old piece out and drop it off at any glass and mirror supply house. One that specializes in bathroom mirrors for the residential industry is ideal.

They can cut you a new piece while you wait, or perhaps longer if Gil the Glasscutter is busy that day.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agreed. Last year I had my local glass place cut me a new mirror and glass (I had it all apart for painting). It cost very little and took no time at all.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Are they straightforward to remove?
Are we talking about interior or exterior mirrors?

Interior mirrors are easy to take apart. The two halves of the case snap apart, and the glass (plus a million little plastic bits & springs that control the day/night function) will all fall out.

Exterior mirrors come from a variety of vendors; few have glass that is simple to replace.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI..

Yes it is the interior mirror... that was my worry about opening them... are they easy to put back together? any tips?

thanks

Are we talking about interior or exterior mirrors?

Interior mirrors are easy to take apart. The two halves of the case snap apart, and the glass (plus a million little plastic bits & springs that control the day/night function) will all fall out.

Exterior mirrors come from a variety of vendors; few have glass that is simple to replace.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I went another route..as I had this kind of mirror in 63 on my mini cooper... now I bought from JCWhitney a 10 inch curved mirror (just like I had in 63), it slips over the original, and you have no blind spots...you can partly see yourself , and all the way to out the passenger side window...think it was $17....love it! also, many who see it want one.
possibly tomorrow if I remember ,at the office, (got all my pics there) I can post a picture.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
are they easy to put back together? any tips?
Wow, it's been decades since I had one of these apart. No, they aren't hard to reassemble as long as you know how all the little pieces are supposed to fit together. So I guess the tip is: take it apart gently, noting how the parts fit together. Don't just split the two halves, and shake the bits out onto your work bench!

A problem here in California is that the sun/heat turns the plastic parts into dust. That may be less of an issue there in the UK. I remember stuffing a piece of foam rubber inside my mirror to hold the glass in place, which obviously did away with the day/night function, but at least the reflective surface wasn't rattling around.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers all... I will have a go at removing the front cover slowly! and then as you say keeping a note of wear each item is located.

Just out of interested did the mirror body have a crinkle paint finish? Mine is smooth.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts