Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy All:

In preparing for restoration of my '71 spider, I'm doing a complete disassembly. (Nearly done). As this is my first try at this can anyone tell me how to remove the RV Mirror (illuminated type) from the car without damage?

I should add that I'm talking about the inside mirror, fastened to the top of the windshield frame. Sorry.

Thanks,

Gene

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I'm pretty sure its has a "break away" attachment for safety in those days. The way it works is the anchor plate is screwed in place hidden behind the mirror base so you can't get to the screws without carefully pulling in a prying motion on the mirror base. This plate has some rolled edges that the pedestal of the mirror snaps over. It's not one of those things that is a one time only and with some bravery it snaps off and back on once you get over the fear it will end up in a disaster..

I would post your question to the '71 Spider forum and they will walk you through it. This forum is a little too generic and it will get lost in the shuffle.

This mirror configuration was used all the 70's and later cars, I'm pretty sure. It is on my '72 Super. Hope this guides you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'd read there was some kind of "break-away" feature, but could not find any discussion of how it works. You've helped. I'll also go over to the Spider forum with the question.

Gene

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow-up to divotandtralee: per your discussion above, I got brave and gave the mirror stem a moderately sharp tug; off it popped! Thanks so much for your help! Onward with disassembly.

Gene

1 - 5 of 5 Posts