Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to this BB, I pulled my fogged up mirror and cleaned it; making it shiny new. The mirror flopped about before cleaning and I was thinking I'd find some springs out of position, but when I opened up the mirror, there were no springs inside?? Any suggestions on how to get it to stay adjusted, at least via the ball & socket position (fitting it back on the ball, did take a snap), I can live without the night "flip lever/bright light" adjustment, but would like the primary adjustment to work. Thanks Paul 89 Spider

·
Registered
142 Posts
My problem was the thin plastic "hinge" between the external adjustment lever and the backing plate/spring broke. If I move the adjustment lever just so it will hold the interior mirror in place then I adjust the whole mirror to suit.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
there is a cheaply designed plastic hinge (like AlfaRover mentioned) that breaks...I used hot glue (once I worked out the normal position) to stop it flopping around.....makes a nice stable mirror, but no night flip view.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had a PM on this subject so that I'd post my reply..FYI

Cleaning the mirror is simple..if your brave!!! (remember the brave only die once..cowards die a thousand times)...
It's a brake away mirror....but dont test that feature
Grab the stalk..a 45degree twist in it's same plane (perpendicular to the long axis of the alfa and parallel to the windshield) and it will rotate across it's mounting plate...This will reduce the mounting position (think grip) area of the two surfaces (and free the dimpled friction points of the two pieces) allowing a twist in the long axis of the Alfa (when it's in this angled position) to pop the ball and socket joint between the two units freeing the mirror mount of it's mate from the mounting plate off the windshield frame..
How's that for an answer!!!! LOL
Did a search on alfabb "rear view mirror cleaning" and found the resource I used..
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/45358-cleaning-interior-rear-view-mirror.html
Mine is now nice and clean...BUT
Day/night flip doesent work...seems like this is an alfa epidemic...many tape/hot glue the mirror to the backing..think I try soft foam packing wrap about 1/8" thick.
On mine, the ball joint between the stalk and the mirror is frozen...I've got it soaking in WD40,,,it's loosing rt to left but dont have up/down yet...will let it sleep over night Dont want to fore the up/down motion as this is in the same axis of the weak day/night flip joint
Be careful removing the outer frame from the mirror...mine cracked..
Plus..there's a plastic "gasket" around the mirror..mine's disintegrating..be careful when cleaning!!! It's hard to get to get all the little pieces back together.
Looks like there's no simple project on an ALFA...But isn't love worth it!!! LOL
Paul
89 Spider

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cleaning the mirror is simple..if your brave!!! (remember the brave only die once..cowards die a thousand times)...
It's a brake away mirror....but dont test that feature
Grab the stalk..a 45degree twist in it's same plane (perpendicular to the long axis of the alfa and parallel to the windshield) and it will rotate across it's mounting plate...This will reduce the mounting position (think grip) area of the two surfaces (and free the dimpled friction points of the two pieces) allowing a twist in the long axis of the Alfa (when it's in this angled position) to pop the ball and socket joint between the two units freeing the mirror mount of it's mate from the mounting plate off the windshield frame..
How's that for an answer!!!! LOL
Did a search on alfabb "rear view mirror cleaning" and found the resource I used..
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/45358-cleaning-interior-rear-view-mirror.html
I'm a coward. I guess I'll just worry about what's ahead of me and not what's behind me....:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts