Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took the GTV's inside mirror apart to clean both glass panes--they needed it. Unfortunately a bobby pin-type clip fell out, and now I need to figure out where it goes. It's a spring clip that works with the day/night dipping feature--pic attached. Anyone have a pciture of how the mirror innards should look when assembled? Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the picture. The one on my '74 GTV is of a slightly different design, however, with coil springs and only a single wire clip, the mounting of which eludes me.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The above is for a lighted rear view mirror.
Unlighted is a different rig. (mirror is pretty much just a panel with frame)

IIRC, even the 'day~night' feature works in the opposite direction along with the lever proper being attached to the reflector in the lighted version and a seperate part in the unlighted version.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
From memory.... ha! the wire clip provides the snap that you feel on the tab when flipping from day to night. There is a groove it fits in above the tab. So best I can say is try putting in different ways in that area. Don't have one apart now so that's the best I can do. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
How easily did your mirror come apart? Mine needs the glass cleaned badly, but I've been afraid to try to get it out for fear of destroying an otherwise good mirror or housing. If it's pretty easy, I may give it a go.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It came apart very easily by merely "unhooking" the front black glass casing from the four tabs. I first released the top tabs, then the bottom. I would have done it more slowly and with the mirror horizontal to avoid dislodging the internal spring clip.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
a couple of jewlers flathead screwdrivers work well, that and just take it slow

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,265 Posts
Yeah, I've taken a bunch of these apart and it's surprisingly easy. Cleaning makes a huge difference, just be gentle with the mirror.

Looks to me that the two open ends of that spring sit on the lever, and the "divot" bend in the top of the spring fits between the two raised pieces above the lever. But without it in front of me I'm just guessin'

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Hi
Here is a picture of the innards. Hope that it helps..
Regards
Thom
HI, Anyone have a spare black plastic day /night flipper for this type of mirror, mine broken.

Thanks

ken

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK, after studying the unit it appears the metal clip fits, as suggested, into a narrow groove in the flip lever. The inner mirror’s two claws sit on top of the metal clip. My inner mirror turned out to be cloudy from haze / fading, so clarity could not be fully restored. Reassembly was more challenging than disassembly, with a much higher risk of glass breakage. The day/night flipper works more smoothly, however. In short, don't attempt disassembly unless yours is seriously dirty or nonfunctional.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts