Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear Trunnion End Bush Replacement

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a post that describes how to replace the rear trunnion end bushes for a 1971 1750 GTV, I've tried searching but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks

David Brough

·
Registered
3,536 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Do read a bit more, David, there are plenty of posts here which say, more or less:

- that job was no fun
- I've never seen an end bush which actually needed replacement

Call me chicken, but mine look fine, so I won't be touching them. If in doubt, I'd be giving somebody in the know a look at them first.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
If you really are sure that the end bushes are bad, the easy way is to just replace the entire T-bar with one from a late model spider. Same part and the bushes will be like new.
I am with the other poster.....
these rarely go bad and you do need the special factory pullers to do the job correctly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys, that's really useful. In truth my end bushes don't look too bad but the spacers are shot so I had thought about renewing the end bushes while I was there but it seems best to leave well alone and just replace the spacers.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Yes, the original spacers are made of cheese, so they crumble after only a few decades !
The easy fix is to use the Poly spacers. Cut a slit from the middle out, lube with the supplied grease and slide them on !
Works a treat !
(Sorry, I learned English watching Top Gear !!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, the original spacers are made of cheese, so they crumble after only a few decades !
The easy fix is to use the Poly spacers. Cut a slit from the middle out, lube with the supplied grease and slide them on !
Works a treat !
(Sorry, I learned English watching Top Gear !!)
Hi there,

Does this means that The replacement for those spacers is simple as this? Is it simply just slit up the Polyurethane spacers (the blueish-lilacish things from "flex the power Ltd"), lube these things up with the grease they are delivered with and slide them in place?

Is there no issue with them been torn appart from the pivoting of the trunion bar in the bushes? ..... If not I'll give it a try as my spacers are gone also...

In fact in one of the videos of the Vintage Custom guys, the shop owner just shows/demonstrates this trick... he slices up one of these spaces and pups/slides it in place... Thinks its one of the Giulia Super videos if I remember it correctly.

Anyone there to confirm that this simple fix really works? Would save me a lot of headaches...

Thank you & Kind regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts