Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I want to replace bushings and repaint rear sway / anti roll bar. Any ideas how to remove the connecting link rod that hold the bushings? there's a metal collar in the middle section that looks machined and won't separate out so other than cutting the link rod i can't see a way of removing, unless it's so obvious I missed it. I'm sure others have had to do the same in the past. thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It's probably a tubular sleeve that is corroded to the rod itself. Soak it or spray liberally with penetrating oil, overnight, then rap it with a hammer. It might break loose. But you can buy sway bar links at auto parts stores, just get the same length. I suppose you're replacing the rubber bushings, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the insight, do you know if this was the OEM style link that it came out of the factory with ? I am trying to get as standard OEM as possible.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm pretty certain the OEM hardware on the GTV 6 had a sleeve over the threaded rod. My son's car has that. Maybe others here can weigh in on that detail. But the washers are installed backwards in the photo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty certain the OEM hardware on the GTV 6 had a sleeve over the threaded rod. My son's car has that. Maybe others here can weigh in on that detail. But the washers are installed backwards in the photo.
it certainly did. tried derusting then had to cut out the sleeves and now just need to find some replacement sleeves. any ideas where I can source these ? else will have to get these machined...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hey don't struggle! You don't need original items like this, just use steel hydraulic tubing or pipe of the correct (approximate) diameter. That's what the OEM parts were... cheap steel welded tube, cut to length. For that matter most auto parts stores or speed shops have aftermarket sway bar link kits that you can adapt,also. And they are nice,new plated pieces that look a lot better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey don't struggle! You don't need original items like this, just use steel hydraulic tubing or pipe of the correct (approximate) diameter. That's what the OEM parts were... cheap steel welded tube, cut to length. For that matter most auto parts stores or speed shops have aftermarket sway bar link kits that you can adapt,also. And they are nice,new plated pieces that look a lot better!
sure thing, wasn't looking for original, just equivalent that I'll then get zinc plated along with the bolt then put some copper grease and they should hopefully outlast me ! I'll see what's available online first. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts