Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long hiatus I've just got my '83 GTV6 back, I would appreciate some advice about it.

There is a problem with its rear suspension.

Viewed from behind, the right side is sitting noticeably lower than the left.

On that side, the rear anti-roll bar is rattling around, the rubber bushes where its bolted to the de dion axle are completely worn out and it also looks like the top of the transaxle has been hitting/rubbing against it.

I thought it was simply a worn out spring and bushes, but after seeing the mark left by the transaxle on the anti-roll bar I'm not too sure.

Is there likely to be something more serious wrong with it?

And, is it difficult to replace all the rear anti-roll bar bushes?

--

Also is there any trick to removing the fuel tank?

When I last removed it I had to remove all the fittings on its bottom. It was very close to coming out without removing the final fitting but just wouldn't. Anyway the final fitting was on very tight and when I forced it I ripped the entire fitting and threads out of the bottom of the tank.

I'd prefer not to repeat the experience so any tips would be welcome.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Rear Suspension Issues / Gas Tank Removal

Sounds like you have two or three issues.

1 Since the transaxle is bolted to the body if that is showing wear marks from the sway bar then either the sway bar is loose at the body or the transaxle mount are broken. If the transaxle mounts are broken you'll get a thumping sound when you get on of off the throttle depending on which mount is broken. I think the more likely possibility is that the sway bay has come loose from the mount an the body where it bolts above the transaxle.

2 If the car is low on one side most likely something with the rear springs. Just get under the car and start looking around.

3 To remove the gas tank you have to take the 2nd fitting out of the tank. We tried for about a half an hour without taking the fitting out and it just wasn't going to happen. When you put the take back in that fitting only needs to be snug, it doesn't have to be super tight.

Hope all this helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the watts linkage bars is bent - is this normal? (I've tried to attach a picture of it)

And further to it sagging on the rear corner...

If I remove the rear roll bar, watts linkage and shocks should the car sit level?

I do appreciate the help.

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
One of the watts linkage bars is bent - is this normal? (I've tried to attach a picture of it)

And further to it sagging on the rear corner...

If I remove the rear roll bar, watts linkage and shocks should the car sit level?

I do appreciate the help.

thanks.

One of them should be bent but much more than yours. Here's a photo of mine
So I think yours is damaged as it must be the one on the right.

I wouldn't have thought that that amount of bend would be that noticeable as the car sits.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Chris - your picture is from the GVT6. The Alfettas are straight, both of them. I think this one needs to be straightened.
I think you'll find that the question was about a GTV6

"After a long hiatus I've just got my '83 GTV6 back, I would appreciate some advice about it."

:)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Oh, I missed that, sorry. The rod looked so much like the Alfetta ones, I just assumed. The GTV6 ones also look both curved and thicker.

It certainly must be the right one though, and should be straight.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually it is the left one from an '83 GTV6. The right one is straight. I was going to let this thread die as I had worked out that the left one should be bent to provide clearance for the exhaust. But I saw an original GTV6 microfiche yesterday and the left one on the microfiche looked a lot more bent than mine - much like the one in the picture that Chris Fella posted.

The bar doesn't look like it has been bent due to any impact or damage. This is a single owner alfa so I know what has happened to it from new, but thats not to say that it wasn't swapped by a mechanic sometime. Is it possible that different years have different watts linkage bars?

As to the suspension drooping... Seems like it required a little time for everything to settle after I disconnected the anti-rollbar, shocks and watts linkage and now it is sitting level. Just got to find one more bush and I can put it all back together.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how much I learn on this BB. I have an Alfetta GT and a Milano and both have straight bars- the bend in that left side bar in the photo Chris posted startled me!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The bends are there purely for exhaust clearances.

Within models and model years there were variations.

If the swaybar is tightened severely lopsidedly then it will make the ride height, from side to side, uneven. One of the cars in the family had some work done in the rear of the car and two different types of links were used for the swaybar accidentally when reinstalled. Once tightened and on the ground, it was obvious that the ride height was uneven. The correct, matched links and new bushes solved it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
This is the extra 1981 GTV6 transaxle and Dion I have lying around. As you can see the drivers side has a large curve in it and the passenger side is straight as an arrow.
The fuel line banjo fittings have to come off, but as you can see on my extra fuel tank, the large nuts do not have to come off. Banjo bolts are in a box somewhere in this messy garage, otherwise I'd show a photo of them too. Hope this helps a little bit.

Drivers side with bend

Passenger side very straight

Passenger side very straight

Banjos at bottom of fuel tank

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more question regarding the watts linkages. Should the left and right links be exactly the same length? The left one which is slightly bent is about 2mm shorter than the straight one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I measured mine from center of hole to center of hole. Both of them are 53 cm. Hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts