Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got around to fitting the second replacement rear sun blind for this 164. Being an earlier car, the blinds were mounted near the back seat, and one would not retract because the material was damaged and distorted.

There was actually a generous amount of space under the rear shelf trim, so I was able to incorporate the 'Power Curtain' sold at an electronics shop at which I used to work. There was even enough room to retain the storage box. I bought the last three discontinued Power Curtains at a staff pricing - one was already broken, and the one I fitted broke the first time I put it up after refitting the rear seat. The blind simply hit the head restraints and stripped the drive gear!

Two years later, I fitted the new replacement and I adjusted the angle of the head restraints by judicious bending of the support structure.

While on the subject of YouTube videos, I couldn't resist a video of a final drive with a gratuitous burst of acceleration. Just for that sound...

-Alex

2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,858 Posts
Pretty neat back shade, I like it. Is that a local product? Has a little more coverage than the stock ones.

Also, can easily identify with that wonderful sound. Sounds just like my cars.

BTW, still collecting FF miles to get back to NZ, plan to fly on Qantas using BA miles, but they keep raising the amount needed compared to what we used the first time we flew there, alas. Slated for next year I think, in Nov. Almost would rather fly Air NZ using United FF miles, but we are having to spend some of those to attend a wedding in Sicily this June. Well, we'll see.

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone!

My other half has a 2001 model Rover 75 - very quiet and quick power blind - been meaning to look into obtaining one for the 164....
Probably a BMW part? I have seen one in an M5 from the same era as our 164s. It works with a fast swinging arm on each side - though when it gets old it doesn't have quite enough power to operate the blind! I'm sure, though, that its useful lifespan is an order of magnitude longer than the one I fitted.

The one I fitted didn't really have a brand - it was a product from China available with either an RF remote key fob (I have three), or a wired remote. The length of the pantograph was adjustable to change the distance the blind extends (I brought it down a few notches). The straight-cut plastic gears define the operating noise characteristic but this is a minor point really. One could always turn the stereo up a bit louder. With no slip clutch, I suspect that the first time someone touches the arms while operating (or, when the curtain fails to rewind properly), the gear teeth will break.

-Alex

· Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and Del - when you visit, you'll now have to make do with my 156 as a loan car, since I no longer have a 164. That goes for you too, Alfisto Steve.

You're welcome to the Spider but I doubt you would want it, unless it's going to be one of those travel-light-with-a-credit-card holidays. With two people on board, there's barely room for a change of clothes and a toothbrush, possibly a beach towel as well if you leave the spare wheel behind.

Over the years I had often looked forward to the idea of lending out my 164 to another 164 driver, hopeful and proud that it might withstand comparison with their fine steed back home.

The 156 is a lower class of car, less spacious and less soundproofing, manual seats, but more rigid and more safety equipment, as it is a generation newer. 164s in NZ didn't even have a single airbag, but the 156 has front, side, and curtain airbags, stability control, and so on. It's also much more economical, which is important when fuel costs US$1.90/litre. Just what you expect of a newer car, really.

-Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.