Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a stock rear spring cap that came with my 1986 Spider or is it a spacer for added height? They were found between the top of the rear spring and the rear spring upper cushion. The car sits very high in the rear. Using the measurement/methodology provided in the manual I am about 2.5 times the spec distance between the axle and the rubber stopper.

To my eye it looks like the spacer that Classic Alfa sells. Based on the ownership history of the car I am thinking maybe it was installed at the dealer at the original purchasers request (along with BWA wheels and a faux wood steering wheel).

The rear spring seat that IAP sells looks to be a stamped metal piece. My piece seems to have about a quarter of an inch thickness to the seat and is aluminium.

I am having a problem with the photos. I need to save with lower resolution or something to reduce file size. Any ideas? Give me a minute

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
CRS...I coughthink that they were only used on USA cars to comply with bumper height regulations

Oh..and I use to take them out also.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I think they come in different sizes. The ones I took out of my Automatic car which came over from Japan but is essentially US spec. were 10mm.
It doesn't sound much but the difference was noticeable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say they are 10mm. When I measured them I thought they were roughly 1/4" which is close enough to 10mm. Anyway I am waiting for a part form another BB member in the mail and would be happy to pay it forward and offer these to you for cost of postage. Can I ask what you want them for? As stated previously they will make the car higher than is optimal or higher than they the car was originally set up to be. With the stock spacer and stock springs my car's ride height, measured per the manual, was over 2.5 times specification. My Alfa mechanic mentioned several times that the car was all jacked up and had to come down. A spider may look a little low in the rear due to the way the body line trails off in the rear. Are you sure you don't need to drop down the front? Front ride height has also been compromised over the years due to bumper height restrictions. You may want to check out some of the many, many ride height treads before you make a decision. I love the lower hide height, the slightly down in the haunches look, like a rabbit about to flee. Also wheel well more filled out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just installed iap red springs front and rear. The rear is sitting too low. 10 mm would be a good starting point.
I also live in NJ. Exit 9.
Thanks for the offer!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Rear Aluminum Spacer

I've always understood that the big aluminum spacer on the top of the rear spring was to accommodate cars that also were fitted with a removable Hard top. I had them on my '86 but took them out because I never had a hardtop and I changed to
IAP coil springs. The bumper idea seems very plausible too.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
The bumper idea seems very plausible too.
I have three US Spiders and all of them have aluminium spacers:
86 Graduate, 87 Quad and 88 Veloce

The Veloce has the 11 mm spacers. I never removed the Quad spacers, maybe they're thicker. I don't remember for the Graduate, but with rear Centerline Yellow Springs the spacers installed aren't enough to level the car. I'm working on that actually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts