Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching and haven't found much....Wehn removing and replacing the rear springs, are there any "secret squirrel" trick or stuff to look out for? I have the option of doing it on a lift or in my driveway. Seems a no brainer to me but your thoughts as well.... I'm installing a kit from Alfaholics in the near future and am prepping my mind for it. Thanx, ciao chris

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Not much to it. On the ground might be better, on axle stands. When the shock nuts are removed from the dion the springs will keep pushing down, so you can compress them with a jack under the dion so nothing goes POP and surprises you/smacks you in the face.

One comes out from the rear over the dion [Disconnecting the watts link at the body make it easy] and the other comes out from the wheel arch. Remove that wheel obviously. I think there was a metal tab in the arch that needed to be bent out of the way?

I just jack the car up and wiggle them out because I don't have shortened shocks... Mine are pretty short...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I undo the bottom shock mounts AND the lower sway bar mounts which allows the axle to articulate a bit more. You can put a jack under the hub on the opposite side to lift this which forces the axle side you're working on down for some more "wiggle room".

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car on lift. Removed lower nuts from sway bar and rotated up out of the way. Lower shock mounts removed, Let it all hang free. Undid shock upper nuts and installed new ones leaving the lower nuts off. Trans jack to lift one side spring kinda fell out. New spring was a wee bit shorter so it went right in. Same thing for the opposing side. No need to disconnect Watts link or anything else. Trans jack in center of DeDion tube, lift and mount sway link ends and shocks. Pretty easy. Filling the transaxle was a bigger PITA. ciao, chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts