Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished the reinstall of my rear suspension...

In my rebuild I included new metal and rubber spring cups for both the top and bottom of the springs.

When I got the car, there were spring cups on the top of the springs (up in the wells) but none on the bottom - the springs seated directly into the swing arms, which have a shape in them specifically for the spring.

Now that they're on, I'm wondering if I should have put them in the bottoms. I seem to recall that that IAP <strike> said </strike> implied you should have them top and bottom, but this drawing doesn't show them;

--

Additionally, a pic I saw here doesn't show them on someone else's car; and the bottom rubber cups don't seem like they fit all that deeply into the swing arm cups.

Keep 'em in? Pull em out? The car is still on jack stands so it's not a big deal to do at this point.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
The bottoms of the springs do just sit in the metal cups welded to the top of the trailing arms. The thing you might see, part # 105.14.25.509.00, is just a length of vinyl pipe that you push onto the end of the spring wire and thread it in so it sits a couple of inches above the base. It's supposedly for damping resonance in the spring, but not a lot of people bother to do it. When you reinstall, make sure that the 'pig tail' of the bottom of the spring sits tightly in the shaped cup, or you might get problems.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts