Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried ordering some new rear Koni sport shocks - online they came up as 80-2571SPORT part number.

After placing the order, the supplier emailed to say Koni said that was the wrong part number and it should be a 80-2242, according to Koni. On Koni's site, they say 80-2571.

So, for later GTV6 they say the 2571, and for the earlier cars, they say 2242. Is there really any difference? Can I use the later 2571 and get them ordered right away?

The 2242 is backordered until mid Feb.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
when the Alfetta first emerged Koni produced orange colored conventional shocks;when the GTV6 came out in 81 Koni introduced yellow "Sport" gas hydraulic shocks. The two kinds of shock absorber fit both models. Koni stopped making the orange shocks years ago. The yellow shocks are still available. They are significantly stiffer than the orange ones.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,859 Posts
I think that’s backwards for the 116 cars. When I got my Milano it had orange/reddish Konis in the rear that were gas charged. They sucked.

The Koni yellows I replaced them with were conventional. Pretty sure that’s all they sell now.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,334 Posts
when the Alfetta first emerged Koni produced orange colored conventional shocks;when the GTV6 came out in 81 Koni introduced yellow "Sport" gas hydraulic shocks. The two kinds of shock absorber fit both models. Koni stopped making the orange shocks years ago. The yellow shocks are still available. They are significantly stiffer than the orange ones.
The current production yellow "Sport" Konis for the GTV/6 and Milano are stiffer than red Koni "Classics", but they are not gas-charged shocks.

·
Premium Member
13,082 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I bought some AVO adjustable ones, so I have a full set of Koni reds for sale $350, and a pair of yellow Koni sport fronts for sale $150.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I recall when I was looking at all of this that the difference in the model numbers has to do with cars that have a bump stop so Koni didn't have one in the shock. For those without a suspension bump stop, the shock of different model had one built in. Not sure if that is BS or on what models this may apply. Just a dim memory that may stir a more eloquent thought from someone more knowledgeable - equally happy for this to be called out as BS! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
From my experience, because I made the mistake of not fitting bump stops, Alfettas have the bump stop on the chassis whereas the Milano/75, and maybe the GTV6 don't. The bump stop for them is an external 'rubber' bump stop on the shaft as you see used on strut or coilover suspension cars. Also, the Koni Reds are usually non-adjustable whereas the Koni Yellow 'sport' were rebound adjustable and rebuildable. I'm 99% sure they are all interchangeable between Alfetta, Milano or GTV6, just add the bump stop if needed. I have both Alfetta and 75TS, but no first hand GTV6 experience.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From my experience, because I made the mistake of not fitting bump stops, Alfettas have the bump stop on the chassis whereas the Milano/75, and maybe the GTV6 don't. The bump stop for them is an external 'rubber' bump stop on the shaft as you see used on strut or coilover suspension cars. Also, the Koni Reds are usually non-adjustable whereas the Koni Yellow 'sport' were rebound adjustable and rebuildable. I'm 99% sure they are all interchangeable between Alfetta, Milano or GTV6, just add the bump stop if needed. I have both Alfetta and 75TS, but no first hand GTV6 experience.
Not sure about the bump stops, that's good info I'll pay attention to.

However, Red Konis are adjustable for rebound just like yellows. Yellows are typically Sports and valved stiffer. In my experience with other makes, the Reds were hydraulic, and the yellows were gas-charged as well, but that's not the case with these for the Alfetta/GTV6/75/Milano. They are all hydraulic. Also, all Koni's are rebuildable - and can be revalved when rebuilt, as well.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
So they push out by themselves and extend fully if you compress them?
The 3 good ones do.

Don't tell me the ones you sold don't....

Little trick though. If they have been laying on their sides in storage, hold them vertical and upside down and compress them a few times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts