Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have just bought a 1979 Spider that had pretty good bones or so I thought. It had no rust on the floors, rockers or quarter panel. Just the spare tire wheel well. That was common as I heard, but then I discovered some rot where the rear shocks are attached. Especially on the passenger side. Is that something that can be repaired? I totally missed that when I inspected the car. Otherwise the car seems sound. Anybody else had this kind of problem and how did they deal with it? Your help would be appreciated. I am including a picture. Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hello. I have just bought a 1979 Spider that had pretty good bones or so I thought. It had no rust on the floors, rockers or quarter panel. Just the spare tire wheel well. That was common as I heard, but then I discovered some rot where the rear shocks are attached. Especially on the passenger side. Is that something that can be repaired? I totally missed that when I inspected the car. Otherwise the car seems sound. Anybody else had this kind of problem and how did they deal with it? Your help would be appreciated. I am including a picture. Thank you in advance! View attachment 1671685
Well, the good news is that you have caught it before the whole shock mount came loose.
I would do one of two things.
1) find someone with a parts car that will cut that piece out for you and you could weld it in.
2) The rusty piece is basically flat and you could fabricate it for some sheet steel.

The part where the shock actually mounts looks pretty bad and may or may not be salvageable..

I o not think anyone has reproduced that part.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have replaced that part. Basically its a tin sheet over the top of the upper spring seat/ chassis rail. If its the tin sheet only then its easy to cut out and replace. If its the rail then its a big job. I have done this on my Duetto, I had to make the parts. The better news is that the spring cup underneath is much thicker steel so can be ok but the upper side of the chassis rail unfortunately is thin and only accessible from above from inside.
So cut that piece out and have a look.

IMG_5526.JPG IMG_5622.JPG IMG_5626.JPG IMG_5764.JPG

·
Registered
210 Posts
It’s probably just rust on the top panel so likely not a difficult repair. The cause is probably a leak in the body seam covered by the chrome trim at the trunk corner. Cleaning out the old seam sealer and redoing it will fix it, with that seam leaking it’ll also puddle water under the rear shelf.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks. Yes did it myself. Im 10 months into body restoration on it. If your interested see my 1750 restoration thread.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Thanks. Yes did it myself. Im 10 months into body restoration on it. If your interested see my 1750 restoration thread.
I have and you have really undertaken an intensive project. Looks like you have the equipment and the ability. I use a Lincoln 110V MIG welder but you are a much better welder than I will ever be!

That being said, my first Alfa was a red 1750 boat tail and I wish I never sold it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a pair of shock caps and boots with no rust and hardware if you decide that you want to replace yours when you do the metal job.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
So it looks like it is repairable. I was afraid it was structural and hard to fix.
Absolutely repairable! Don’t be too dismayed.

·
Premium Member
5,771 Posts
So it looks like it is repairable. I was afraid it was structural and hard to fix.
Send me a PM if you want one cut from a parts car. I have several and have a plasma cutter so it makes easy to cut them out.

Reactions: pantera928
1 - 12 of 12 Posts