Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh oh, guys. My Spider has been making this creaking noise over every bump and turn. At first I thought it was a muffler problem (I've had to weld my muffler at least 4 times over 6 years) but then I found this.

http://imgur.com/e4Wkcp1

The right rear shock has apparently completely busted from the mount.

This looks really bad. Is this something I could take to a welder and get repaired? Is it repairable at all? Is this thing drivable?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Uh oh, guys. My Spider has been making this creaking noise over every bump and turn. At first I thought it was a muffler problem (I've had to weld my muffler at least 4 times over 6 years) but then I found this.

imgur: the simple image sharer

The right rear shock has apparently completely busted from the mount.

This looks really bad. Is this something I could take to a welder and get repaired? Is it repairable at all? Is this thing drivable?
I wouldn't drive the car, but that's absolutely repairable. Get a panel cutout from Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange. Any skilled welder can weld in the new section without much trouble at all.

If it were my car and I was planning on driving the car hard - I'd repair that side with a panel cut from another car, and then reinforce both sides.

You may want to check and see, when taken apart, if the shock absorber mounts true (i.e. the top and bottom line up perfectly with suspension level) and that you don't have another issue w/ trunnion or suspension that has put undue torsional/lateral stress on the shock mount. Use a prybar on the suspension bushings to check for play or damage otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
You may want to check and see, when taken apart, if the shock absorber mounts true (i.e. the top and bottom line up perfectly with suspension level) and that you don't have another issue w/ trunnion or suspension that has put undue torsional/lateral stress on the shock mount. Use a prybar on the suspension bushings to check for play or damage otherwise.
I agree with everything racingswim2006 wrote. It is fixable, you should reinforce the other side while you're at it, etc.

A larger question is why the mount broke - this is not a common failure point on 115 Alfas. Might someone have installed too-stiff shocks, putting excessive loads on the shock mounts? Do you have the correct shocks, but one side became stiff with age? Is the metal around the mount badly rusted?

·
Richard Jemison
7,772 Posts
Damage

Not unusual in a lowered car or one with very hard shock setting.

On lowered cars the "tubular" bolt on mount should be lengthened (taller) to allow suspension travel.
These were "raised" 1 1/2 inches for the rear of the Montreal "Coupe".

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts