Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Just one thing - did you tighten the trailing arm front and rear bolts with the full weight of the car on the ground ?
If you didn't then this could be giving you the "false" ride height. You shouldn't tighten them up when the suspension is at full droop, but lower the car to the ground and, with the full weight of the car on the floor, tighten the bolts to the correct torque.
As you didn't replace the springs, the ride height shouldn't be any different than it was before. The shocks don't determine the ride height, that's done by the springs.
If you tighten the bolts before the weight of the car is on them, then the new bushes you've just installed will be twisted more than they should be, and could be holding the car up at an unnatural height. If you continue to use the car like that, it will shorten the life of the bushes considerably.
If you didn't follow the correct tightening procedure, best thing to do is put the car on a set of ramps, loosen the bolts right off, bounce the car a few times, then tighten again to the correct torque.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@GTA R I replaced shocks, springs, arms, and installed polyurethane bushings in the arms (let's not get into that debate). But indeed, the bolts on the arms were torqued up while the car was completely up in the air on the lift.

I'm not a big fan of laying on the concrete, for a bunch of reasons. But, maybe indeed I'll loosen everything, then get the car on ramps or blocks, so the suspension remains loaded while retightening. I understand in principal why this could matter -- but with poly bushings, I'm not sure how much difference it would make.

Always anxious to learn, so I guess those big 22mm and 24mm sockets are coming out again tomorrow.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Didn't realise you'd replaced the springs too. I'd still get it on ramps , loosen the bolts, and tighten when all the weight is on, and see if the ride height drops.
If you've put poly bushings in the front of the trailing arms, you may notice more road noise than before. I did that once, years ago, and noticed it immediately. The general concensus nowadays is that poly is ok everywhere if for a race car, but for a road car use rubber where they attach directyly to the bodyshell, and poly ok for the other joints.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts