Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a roll bar in my coupe, so the rear seats no longer fit. The car is high-performance street rather than a full on racer so I don't want to strip and paint the interior, but prefer an upholstered solution. The interior quarter panels will be reused as will the wheel arch covers, but I need ideas for the area no longer covered by the seat cushions.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Here is our take on a rear seat delete. We use 1" box tubing (steel in our case but could use AL). 1/2" marine grade plywood for the bottom and back and 1/8" masonite for the lower face. The leading edge is solid mahogany to match the dash veneer but again, you could go many different routes. Not shown but we hide the modern 3-point seatbelt recoils under the box which makes for a clean set up.

We also have a removable carpet piece held in place by snaps.

This is not a definitive drawing. There are some L brackets that we use to anchor to the floor and back. Dimensions may vary as well but the idea is there.
frame1.JPG

Rear Seat Delete3.jpg

Rear Seat Delete1.jpg

Rear Seat Delete2.jpg

Rear Seat Delete4.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Here's some photos of my implementation of the rear seat delete. Note that I just replaced the seat base with a shelf, while retaining the seat back so that the car still looks sort of original.

Mine is all made out of wood - no steel/aluminum frame - and it's plenty strong to support luggage, ice chests, etc. An Odyssey battery is mounted under the shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
@gprocket even better. Keeping with the marine there, I wonder if some 1” insulation on the inside would help you hear more exhaust/intake and less drivetrain/road noise. Not important for a racer, but for us street-only guys. Easy enough to add if one wanted!

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
@gprocket even better. Keeping with the marine there, I wonder if some 1” insulation on the inside would help you hear more exhaust/intake and less drivetrain/road noise. Not important for a racer, but for us street-only guys. Easy enough to add if one wanted!
Absolutely!

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
@gprocket I think Alfajay hit it out of the park!!!
Well, the truth is, I can't take credit for the idea. I saw such a setup on someone's GTV at Concorso Italiano back in the 2000's and decided to copy it.

jthames said:
I wonder if some 1” insulation on the inside would help you hear more exhaust/intake and less drivetrain/road noise.
My shelf is 3/8" plywood; between that and the carpet that covers it, drivetrain/road noise is pretty well isolated.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
When I restored my GT 12 or 13 years ago, I got carpet and vinyl from an upholstery supply store here in Orange County. They had hundreds of varieties of naugahyde, carpet and other supplies for furniture and automotive upholstery. Sadly, I think they are no longer in business. Don't know where I'd go if I were doing it today - guess I would begin by asking a professional upholsterer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you know specifically what type of carpet you are looking for? You can get samples, and order yardage, through places like World Upholstery and GAHH. Neither are cheap but will have a good selection of automotive carpet. Depending on where you are located, see if you have a Keyston Bros store in your area. These guys are wholesalers to auto upholsterers and the like and technically do not sell direct to consumer, but every now and then the guy behind the counter will make an exception for you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I looked at some places on line and will probably request samples. Trying to match the gray carpeting set I got from Classic Alfa.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I looked at some places on line and will probably request samples. Trying to match the gray carpeting set I got from Classic Alfa.
How about matching if the seat cover material?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I went with gray carpeting from Classic Alfa which is actually closer to an ebony color. Still getting samples. If I can't match the carpet or get really close I'll go with black to match the seats. Thanks all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts