Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear scuttle drains are toast. both sides the scuttles are completely rusted and the hoses have not been attached for a while it seems. These are the ones in the trunk. Has anyone repaired them and how did you do it?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I suppose you mean the two drains at the back (where all those soft top studs are), which drain into the rockers.
This is a good photo from the BB showing one of those (with bee looking for new home;))
rear deck drain.JPG

I guess you have to remove the soft top first though, to even get at those from the top.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry about the picture...I couldn't get my head up in there and didn't know what it looked like up in there. I stuck my camera upside down and started snapping pics to see what I could find.

I was poking around under the back firewall carpet looking for the entrance and then finally felt some drain hole feeling things inside a gutter thing at the rear base of the top...one felt sorta ok...the other just started to collapse into the trunk when I poked it...

obviously it will have to wait until the ratty old top is replaced...I will probably have to blindly cover the rusted out drain hole with some plumbers putty or something in the meantime. hopefully the remaining three drains can handle any water.

surprisingly, in the trunk below both disconnected drains, I found no evidence of water intrusion or rust. Unless the water just ran off somewhere else real fast?

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose you mean the two drains at the back (where all those soft top studs are), which drain into the rockers.
This is a good photo from the BB showing one of those (with bee looking for new home;))
View attachment 1615929

I guess you have to remove the soft top first though, to even get at those from the top.
yep, looks like it. I can't see the top of the drain but can feel it. yes, top will need to come off to access the area for repair. Or maybe remove top from the rear studs and push it forward?

·
Registered
221 Posts
This is a good thread to read. I plead total ignorance on this rear scuttle drain thing. I replaced my front ones in my '89 but had not idea I had them in the rear. I had the interior completely out, but didn't see any hoses in the sidewalls behind the seats, nor any in the trunk area. I think I'll have to look things over again.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I had the interior completely out, but didn't see any hoses in the sidewalls behind the seats, nor any in the trunk area. I think I'll have to look things over again.
probably wise to find the 4 hoses and make sure they are not split (2 in the rear, one on each side.....all 4 drain into the rockers....that's why your rocker drain slits need to be real clean)

Soft top drainage hoses

this is a good BB photo showing the hoses into the rockers
soft top drain hoses sills rockers.JPG

and the rear, also a BB photo
spider rear soft top bolts and drains.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
On closer inspection, found the two trunk hoses. They look almost new, and are solid, so I suppose the PO must have replaced them not long ago. Not sure where to look for the larger hoses just forward of these smaller trunk ones. The drain holes are all clean and its interesting, but the two body panels that are supposed to be fused at the rockers, and in which the drain holes are formed, are separated about 1/8 inch, creating one long weep hole along the length of the rocker. Its identical on both sides. I can even shine a light into the interior rocker space, and all looks remarkably clean. The car had been repainted sometime before I bought it, so I'm wondering if the rockers were replaced, but not tack welded where the two panels meet. Anyway, they seem very solid so I'm not too worried..... or should I be??

·
Registered
221 Posts
Now I see where those hoses are. Just clicked on spiderserie4 soft top hose link and now I'll check my car......

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
every convertible has drains for the top...just gotta find how they do it...my lebaron has a rubber sorta sheet with a couple hoses that covers the well that the top folds down into. the sides just drain into the rear inner panel forward of the wheel, where the quarter window drops into...so basically the inner sheet metal forms a channel for rain much like the doors channel rain inside and out drain holes in the bottom...that outer door rubber is not water tight on any car, not even new.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still have no clue why the drain inlet rusted away...any water should have drained out...unless the bottom was plugged and hose filled to the top and stayed there...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts