Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so grabbed a bunch of parts from a platinum at the pick a part and was just wondering if i should go back for the rear springs? are they different from the gold? are they same as the verde? i know the verde has a bigger front sway but the same size rear bar so i could see it having some stiffer rear springs. i measured them and came up with 14mm diameter on the coil. also measured my gold and it seemed a bit smaller at 12mm but it wasn't consistent so i couldn't really tell.

so just curious as to the specs and if there is a noticeable difference with the platinum springs?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure about your side of the pond, but over here we definitely had model / equipment-specific spring rates, most notably, there was a nice firm set if you had ordered a tow bar. Cant hurt to have an alternate set anyway could it?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,454 Posts
I don't know if it was as much a gold/platinum/verde thing as it was a year thing. IIRC there were three lengths of rear springs sold on the US cars over the model run. Larry at APE probably knows more and likely has a bunch lying around if you want a specific length.

My '87 Gold had the original, longest ones (18" free length) which made the rear really high. I just cut one coil off of them. This lowered the rear ~1" and by my very rough calcs stiffened them approximately 10%.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and a couple other platinum questions:

1) did all plats have LSD trannies?

2) and did any come with verde recaro seats? or was it an option? i got my recaros out of this platinum and just curious although now that i think of it, this car did have the power seat switches and of course the recaros are manual.

3) regarding the recaros; does the front cushion on the lower part of the seat pull out? i've seen some pics that look to me like it does but i can't get mine to move even though it appears to have a definite separation from the rest of the lower cushion. so, how does it move if in fact it does?

thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
the front of the seatbase on my recaros pulls out, just get your hand under and pull it forward, I dont know if all of the recaro seats were the same though and I dont know what sort of giant person would find that more comfortable! (they certainly wouldnt fit their head inside a 75 / Milano lol)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,447 Posts
1) did all plats have LSD trannies?
Yes, except when they didn't.:D Apparently it was fairly common for the 4.10 LSD transaxles to whine when they were new(ish) and under warranty. A lot of dealers would sway in a new transaxle which may or may not have been the proper LSD transaxle. The only way to really tell is pull of the side cover and check for the LSD unit.

2) and did any come with verde recaro seats? or was it an option? i got my recaros out of this platinum and just curious although now that i think of it, this car did have the power seat switches and of course the recaros are manual.
No, you couldn't get the Verde Recaro interior in a Platinum. I'm sure someone upgraded along the way.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, joe for the info. is there a thread showing how to identify the LSD by pulling the cover and what to look for? i really want to know this as it would quite unfortunate to go through all the trouble of pulling and buying a supposed LSD only to find it wasn't after installing.

also, it is a worthwhile mod, i'm assuming???

the front of the seatbase on my recaros pulls out, just get your hand under and pull it forward, I dont know if all of the recaro seats were the same though and I dont know what sort of giant person would find that more comfortable! (they certainly wouldnt fit their head inside a 75 / Milano lol)
doh, dumbest question i've asked. i was constantly looking for some type of lock/latch to release as it felt like it wouldn't move but then i just pulled and out it came. and i like it pulled out quite a bit, almost all the way in fact and i'm only 5'9". without it extended it feels like the seat is too short for me as do most car seats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts