Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 164 and the rear passenger slide tire is rubbing against the shock absorber. The rear passenger side stabilizer bar (that's what I call the 1/2 inch thick bar running from the center of the car to the brake caliper - please feel free to offer the correct name of this part) is not straight like the driver's side bar.It has a slight 'S' bend in it. I'm thinking that if I replace it with a straight stabilizer bar the tire will no longer rub. It looks straight-forward to replace the stabilizer bar, but am I under the wrong impression? Is it best to take it to Alfa mechanic for this issue. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,380 Posts
I have a 1995 164 and the rear passenger slide tire is rubbing against the shock absorber. The rear passenger side stabilizer bar (that's what I call the 1/2 inch thick bar running from the center of the car to the brake caliper - please feel free to offer the correct name of this part) is not straight like the driver's side bar.It has a slight 'S' bend in it. I'm thinking that if I replace it with a straight stabilizer bar the tire will no longer rub. It looks straight-forward to replace the stabilizer bar, but am I under the wrong impression? Is it best to take it to Alfa mechanic for this issue. Thanks.
That front longitudinal suspension arm being bent should not cause tire to rub strut. It will toe in wheel and tire excessively and if not bent to serverly you can get toe in reset using adjustable rear suspension rod.

If you need to replace front suspension rod you have to support body on stands and drop rear cross member so inner mounting bolt will clear gas tank and you have to hope outer bolt not frozen in bottom of strut and rear axle hub support.

As for tire rubbing strut something else is wrong such as strut bent, to wide of tire or wheel offset wrong.

Do you have stock Alfa wheels and what tire size are you running?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I am running stock Alfa wheels and tire size 195/65R15.

·
Premium Member
27,380 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. Looks like I'll take it to an Alfa mechanic since strut or axle sounds like a big job. I'll see if I can post a good picture of the rear passenger tire/strut. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
ugh yeah thats a problem

needs replacing!. Then check everything else back there to see what else might be bent. That damage most likely occured from a tow truck driver hooking up to that control arm.

·
Premium Member
27,380 Posts
Are you sure tire rubbing strut or rubbing inner fender or fuel filler tube?

I would straighen that rod by removing and putting in wide mouth vise with wooden blocks.

As for having to drop cross member to change or remove that is not required for rear adjustable rod. Your previous description sounded like your front U-shaped rod was what bent not rear adjustable rod.

A1

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tire is definitely rubbing the strut. The strut has a nice worn down area that is consistent with the tire side wall rubbing against it. I'm pretty sure the tire was not rubbing the inner fender or fuel filler tube. The car has a small/moderate dent just above the tire/wheel that the PO said was caused by another car backing into the Alfa. I have the little spare on right now. It does not rub, but it does look quite straight. The forward part of the spare is slightly angled toward the driver's side. I would think that a bent rod would have the forward part of the spare pointing slightly out. It looks like the hub is not straight and that is why the forward part of the spare is pointing toward the driver's side.

·
Premium Member
27,380 Posts
Sounds like you have some bending of strut from that "fender bender" PO disclosed to you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had a mechanic friend of mine straighten the rod and the strut. Full size tire no longer rubs. Now a wheel alignment is needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts