Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced my emergancy brake cable (not that bad of a job) as the old one was very rusted and the biggest reason was I had no parking brake on either side. After I installed the cable I now have parking brakes but the passanger side doesn't want to release. It seems the arm on the caliper where the cable conects to sticks. Is there a way to free this up ?

·
Premium Member
27,507 Posts
Freeing up stuck parking brake lever in rear caliper

Sometimes if lever is stuck in caliper housing due to corrosion under rubber shaft seal, you can remove bolt and return spring that is supposed to help release lever and pry shaft out of caliper housing about 1/2" and polish shaft with a narrow ribbon torn off a spool of plumber's emory cloth you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes.

Trying to do it with caliper installed is very hard but if you use 15mm and 13mm wrenches to remove bolts holding caliper to mounting bracket you can sort of turn caliper over with brake hose still attached. but to work lever back and forth it is best to get parking brake cable out of lever and even loosen brake hose at caliper and put caliper in vise or at least on work bench to be able to polish shaft, lube up with oil and moly grease as best you can and work lever back and forth until somewhat free. Reinstall retrun spring and bolt and so if lever well now work freely.

If you do remove caliper hose you will need to bleed brake and you must jack up strut under trailing arm pivot point to keep brake valve in center of rear cross member from closing off fluid flow if you have somebody pushing brake pedal for you because brake valve piston will move unless rear suspension in simulated weight on wheels position.

Be sure you have car on jack stand and only jack up rear strut enough to hold lever in cross member against brake valve but don't lift car off jack stand.

This process is sometimes successfull but maybe short lived and a rebuilt caliper that should have new shaft seal and a cleaned and properly replated shaft installed by reman company is the answer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good Steve but why pull it 1/2 " can the shaft be pulled out totally and polished ?
THANKS AGAIN

·
Premium Member
27,507 Posts
22 brakes - rear caliper info

Sounds good Steve but why pull it 1/2 " can the shaft be pulled out totally and polished ?
THANKS AGAIN

That is far as it will come out unless you pull caliper fully apart and remove lock ring from HELL inside to pull out guts. Then you need a special tool to reassemble. You don't want to go there unless you have a spare caliper to use as parts so you can make that tool by cutting up a part that goes into piston. Even then it is not an easy task to reassemble.

Some light reading for you:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/179140-post2.html

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/41334-rear-brake-caliper-exploded-view.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts