Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'91 164L 3.0 V6 12V 5-speed
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Might be, but I think wider than this won't fit in place. You're right, there wasn't anything else but hair inside. Are the exhaust gases being pushed through the hair?

·
Registered
961 Posts
The metal rotted out completely leaving just the hair. Same thing happened to mine but some of the metal was intact. If the rear pipe had not rotted around, I would.t have changed it.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
The "hair" is glass fibre. There would have been a perforated through pipe which does the silencing, the glass fibre absorbs the sounds crested by the perforations. The other common muffler style uses perforated pipes that end and begin inside the muffler shell so that the entire volume of the shell attenuates the exhaust pulses. The in pipe ends inside the muffler and the out pipe begins inside the muffler in the non flow through design. Muffler explosions used to be from unburned fuel igniting in the muffler but modern engines don't produce any unburned fuel.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had a Kaboom in my Rx7 aftermarket muffler many years ago. Two months old. Blew the back seam open.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The S muffler is very nice to have on an L. Bolts right on and sounds more throaty and looks very nice with dual tips. I would call around to Alfa Parts Exchange, Trail Auto, etc for a good used one if that is possible to find. OEM or CISAM mufflers last a long time, so just see if you can't find one of those.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts