Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'91 164L 3.0 V6 12V 5-speed
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Might be, but I think wider than this won't fit in place. You're right, there wasn't anything else but hair inside. Are the exhaust gases being pushed through the hair?

·
Registered
986 Posts
The metal rotted out completely leaving just the hair. Same thing happened to mine but some of the metal was intact. If the rear pipe had not rotted around, I would.t have changed it.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The "hair" is glass fibre. There would have been a perforated through pipe which does the silencing, the glass fibre absorbs the sounds crested by the perforations. The other common muffler style uses perforated pipes that end and begin inside the muffler shell so that the entire volume of the shell attenuates the exhaust pulses. The in pipe ends inside the muffler and the out pipe begins inside the muffler in the non flow through design. Muffler explosions used to be from unburned fuel igniting in the muffler but modern engines don't produce any unburned fuel.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had a Kaboom in my Rx7 aftermarket muffler many years ago. Two months old. Blew the back seam open.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
The S muffler is very nice to have on an L. Bolts right on and sounds more throaty and looks very nice with dual tips. I would call around to Alfa Parts Exchange, Trail Auto, etc for a good used one if that is possible to find. OEM or CISAM mufflers last a long time, so just see if you can't find one of those.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found a muffler that’s advertised as Twin Spark’s rear muffler. It looks the same but does anybody know if it fits in place?

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
Do you happen to have a part number for this?
Call them and see if this is a 60546805 Cisam OEM 164S muffler. Prolly not but I doubt you can find an OEM one now. But that being said you can try Difatta Bros in Baltimore as they are selling off their business AND THEY HAD A WHOLE ROOM FULL OF JUST EXHAUST SYSTEMS.

Sending you a conversation about this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm still without a muffler but there really hasn't been a need for it or time to search one. The engine is giving me a headache (ground and nitrated crank had worn again, even though the car hasn't been driven yet).

Got a wrecked (2.0 T.S) 164 that had a "new" rear muffler but of course that wasn't correct for the V6 12V. The inlet pipe is too small as well as the mounting.

Does the 164S muffler fit right in with the L? I take that 60546805 is the OEM for 164S muffler. How about 60565817 or 60577371?

·
Premium Member
16,007 Posts
"ground and nitrated crank had worn again, even though the car hasn't been driven yet "

Don't understand this statement. Properly nitrided cranks should not wear worth talking about for many thousands of miles. With normal use, they usually last the lifetime of the car.

I suspect all 164 (with V6) rear mufflers can be used, even for those for the LS, although you would have to adjust the hanger hooks with that muffler. I've put an S muffler on my LS with no problems except having to bend the hooks on the muffler quite a bit to raise the muffler to fit properly. The opposite would be true for the reverse application.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Properly nitrided cranks should not wear worth talking about for many thousands of miles.
This is why it's so confusing. The nitrating process must have failed or something because 1-2 hours of use (mainly idle) caused 0.04mm of wear on some main journals… Oil pressure was lowish 0.3-0.4bar (idle, hot; probably due to failed grinding) but that really doesn't explain the wear.

However, about the muffler. 164S muffler apparently would fit but I'm yet to find one. There's plenty of mufflers OEM 60573360, though.
That T.S muffler I have has a smaller inlet pipe. Does all V6 mufflers have the same pipe diameter of 2.25" or so?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
The only difference between the L and S rear mufflers is the double tip on the S version. Arguably, the double tip is slightly less efficient.

Indeed, from the Cat back the only difference between S and L is the double exit tip. If you're really keen on that any exhaust shop can fit one, or cut off the double and fit acsingke exit tip if the other way around.

Even the Cat can be made to fit since it is the same size on both. The difference is two inlet pipes to the S cat.

Plus you don't really need an OEM muffler or resonator. Any competent exhaust shop can fabricate what you need from pipe and aftermarket manufacturers.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts