Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'91 164L 3.0 V6 12V 5-speed
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a rear muffler for my Alfa but finding one seems to be a pain. Does a 24V rear muffler fit to 12V car?

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
Yes it will fit but the rear hanger cross bar maybe welded on in a slightly different position in relation to hanger bracket under body on 91 model. The inlet pipe flange exactly the same on all models.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Try a shop specializing in exhaust repairs. Mufflers are nothing special to a particular car. The key elements are volume and noise dissipation design. For a three litre naturally aspirated street engine you need a rear muffler of a certain size. The noise dissipation design is up to you but generally speaking you get the oval shape for fitting considerations with two or three internal perforated pipes packed around with glass fibre. That's all you neeed. Any competent shop can weld on fittings and hopefully your exhaust hangers are still present and in good condition.

Same for the pre-muffler or resonator. Any type that will fit and is of sufficient size should work. The big money in exhaust design gets spent on the headers, down pipes and catalytic converter portion of the system. From the cat back it's basically noise versus horsepower reduction. From the cat back you can't reduce the noise without also reducing horsepower. Period.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any tips on the muffler sizes? At the expense of originality I think I’ll have to go for a custom-made muffler. I would like to have a bit more growl but not much.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
True enough. The first non alfa specific muffler we fitted droned a tad. The free warranty replacement unit, supposedly identical, is fine. You can get a better product if you're prepared to pay the price although where I am it is not feasible to do so. Although we have a version of free trade across the US/Canada border (assuming your whacky POTUS doesn't station troops there) our whacky Federal government imposes non market priced trade barriers by requiring anyone importing anything from the US to hire a customs broker to ensure the GST is collected and remitted. Customs brokers charge significant fees to do this for single transactions for non business customers. The actual taxes owing can be minimal in comparison to the customs brokerage fees. So buying parts from the US sources is not financially viable for us unless a lot of money or a very little money is involved.

We also had to fit a cylindrical resonator instead of the pie plate factory style which I think creates more noise than the factory style. The pie plate shape is NLA as far as I know.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Muffler is aprox. 18 long and 6 high. Don't recall the width (10 inches?). I had purchased a used, not used (installed then taken off of some guy's dad's vehicle as it was too loud for him...which should have tipped me off) stainless Magnaflow without really researching the volume of flow through mufflers. Fit well enough (3 inch inlet and dual 2.5 outlet) with some custom mandrel bending and relocating a hanger BUT louder than I expected. Replacing the spent resonator with another one really didn't quiet thinks down. So, looks fine, sounds louder than stock and irritating on long drives.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
That is the thing. Alfa has always done a great job with the cars having a subtle but very nice exhaust sound as compared to almost all other makes. Quite suitable for longer fun drives. And then some end up screwing with the setup and ending up with something which is not only at least semi-raucus but sounding just like every other messed with ricer car. Irritating to the driver on longer drives, and sometimes to those in the neighborhoods as well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
In my case, it's not irritating to the neighbourhood... it's not a freakin Harley or sceetching cat-car. It's a bit loud for me as I like to keep my stereo low through my drives. In DB levels, it is below the threshold for exhausts and nowhere near as loud as many "performance" exhausts sold through dealerships.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is what happened. I think I’ll try to catch an original one or so, although I like the sound of my spider without rear muffler. With this V6, I haven’t been able to determine how would a glasspack muffler sound with otherwise original exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts
View attachment 1627537
This is what happened. I think I’ll try to catch an original one or so, although I like the sound of my spider without rear muffler. With this V6, I haven’t been able to determine how would a glasspack muffler sound with otherwise original exhaust system.
My my that is a lot of stuffing. I never saw that happen to a 164 I ever had. I got a little hair coming out of the rear of an Ansa once but nothing like that.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
That's not an Alfa muffler, for sure. To fail like that it was blown long ago. Once the interior perforated pipes are gone the flow through the muffler is disrupted and power loss is inevitable. To get best results you need an oval cross section muffler of suitable size. That muffler looks like a cylindrical can.

Good winter tires though. Nokian? You'll need new ones for next winter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That’s an oval muffler and there’s no weldings visible on the piping to and from the muffler but really can’t say about the originality. What I already had seen was that the muffler had dented.

What happened is that (apparently) the inside rusted away and the deadening material was able to move around eventually blocking the outlet pipe, and when the engine finally got some revs, the muffler just exploded. It’s been a problem for a long time: loss of power (no problems when stationary or idling) and the downpipe had rusted already through but my fixing paste blew up every time. Then I got a new downpipe and the pressure just built up in the exhaust.

Man, it was hard to reach 60mph just prior to the explosion. No wonder!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Just the angle of the photo then.

The aftermarket resonator on mine just developed an external leak. Off to the muffler shop today. Only the muffler is "guaranteed for life" which is how these guarantees work financially. You go in tire a warranty muffler and the shop finds something else to fix for you.

Aftermarket stuff doesn't last. I think because it is just mild steel with no plating or coating.

Aluminized steel is the product to get if you can find it.

Turns out the resonator remains intact although I'm changing it out anyway. It's the rear pipe connecting the resonator to the muffler that is gonzo. Hmfff. 1991 to 2020 and its rusted through. Poor quality again.

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,994 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Mufflers for L and S are identical except for the twin tip on the S, which any muffler shop can fit for you although technically it is inferior to the single outlet muffler.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, original is the way to go... at least if not changing the whole system.

Here’s my muffler off the car. It opened itself quite nicely😅

1 - 20 of 26 Posts