Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have a drawing/diagram/description of the washers,spacers,bushings etc. that go in and around the rear motor mount of spiders? I am working on an '80 and there seems to be some things missing in this area, there is a bolt and 2 large rubber washers that go between the Xmember and the rear mount but they don't appear to do anything. the transmission is very loosely held by what is there.

TIA
Dave G.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Dave,
Here's a couple pics of the cross-member with the washers, bolt and tranny mount (without the tranny obviously). What do you mean by loose, is the tranny mount that's pressed in the tranny deteriorated so the rubber isn't really stiff any more?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Matt, and thanks for the pix, by loose, I mean the bolt that came out of the old mount is not "tight" as there is clearance between the bolt OD and the Xmember/mount ID. The mount itself is new. I thought that perhaps there should be a sleeve of some sort for the bolt to go through. Also the rubber washers don't get close to contacting the trans. housing.
Either there is something missing or someone has put the wrong size bolt there at some point.

again, thanks for the pix!
Dave G.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dave, Sounds like you may have the wrong bolt, I replaced mine last Sat. and the bolt was an exact fit. All I recall about the bolt itself, it was fine threads and the threads were only maybe a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch up the bolt. Maybe this will help I.D. your bolt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A guess you could call them sleeves, but I can't imagine that you're missing them. Take a look at the pic, the sleeves look like they're spot welded (I am no expert on welding) to the cross member so I wouldn't think they'd come off. The bolt I've got is just a little over 5/8". What size is your bolt?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, mystery solved, it's the wrong bolt! Looks like a 1/2-13, overall length looks like about 3 to 3.5" with about 1" of coarse thread. No wonder it seemed a bit loose! Of course it didn't matter much with the old mount as the rubber was pretty much gone anyway.
I guess I'll be doing a bit of lathe work in the morning! I'm thinking 16mm but I think I have some 5/8 stock which should be close enough!

Thanks again & Cheers!
Dave G.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
On the 2 rubber washers on either side is there a reason why their is so much floppy room betwen them and the tranny? I notice that on mine too and added extra rubber washers for it tighter fit. There is about a 1/16" between the tranny and the washers now.

It's not so tight that I can't turn the rubber washers but is the tranny suppose to have that much room to move around?

·
Premium Member
14,265 Posts
I probably have a spare one of those bolts lying around in my garage. Let me know if you want me to find it.
Ed Prytherch
74 GTV
79 Spider
88 Verde

1 - 9 of 9 Posts