Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Duetto with a 1600 engine. Is there a trick to installing a new rear main seal? I used a steel cup of exactly the right diameter to attempt to push it in evenly, but failed. I had greased the engine prior to attempting the seal installation. Also tried with WD40. No luck. Can anyone help with suggestions about how to replace the rear main seal?

·
Premium Member
22,379 Posts
I would not great it, at least not the side that goes against the block and bearing cap. You might try some kind of sealer on that side. Some of these, aftermarket I believe, were known to work their way out, and grease would only encourage that. You using an Alfa seal or aftermarket?

You can loosen up the main cap a hair, then tighten back down afterward. Thought I'm not sure I'd do that if my crank was already in and working OK.

The factory installer tool is good and strong, and distributes the force all around the edge, helping the seal go in straight and even.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Sure seems to me that the rear main seal is a problem on these motors? Granted that the install may be a factor but I had one that really went out (installed during a rebuild) and now that one is starting to leak............Boths times an experence "Alfa" mechanic did the work

1 - 3 of 3 Posts