Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

The rear limiting straps on my '89 Graduate are fragged and broken on both sides. They are just 4 hanging canvas straps at this point.

Before I install I've some questions:

1. Is it reasonable to assume that they can be R & R'd in place? It seems I can just unbolt the old ones, wriggle the new ones through and reattach the hardware. Am I missing something?

2. When I order new straps, must I order new mounting hardware as well or should the factory stuff work?

3. My rear shocks are creaky/groaning (they appear original- big shocker!) and it appears my rear drivers side spring has a good bit of rust on one coil (anyone every seen or heard of that before?). Is there any advantage to doing one before the other or all at once?

Thanks for educating me/sharing your experiences with me in advance. M5

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Yeah, the limiting straps can be R&R'd in place. Not much to them really. Hardware is super basic - a couple of plates and some nuts and bolts - and can be reused if not too rusty.

I would guess your creaking and groaning is bushings rather than the shocks. Regardless, if your suspension bushings have never been replaced they definitely need to be just due to the age of the car.

Don't know about the one coil thing but rusty springs are no big deal.

Chris

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
I once bought a Spider parts car and the springs were rusty. I banged them together to knock off some rust and one of them broke! I would be wary of rusty springs. You should examine them carefully.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When you replace the limiting straps, make sure your rubber bump stops are still in good condition. If not, now would be the time to replace them.

BTW, a floor jack is pretty much an essential piece of equipment for this easy job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts