Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear panel and both lights on 2000 GTV are in bad shape, considering these parts not in local stock but small rear lights and full rear panel from earlier model is in stock any reasons not to downgrade to earlier parts?

·
Registered
871 Posts
The rear panel and both lights on 2000 GTV are in bad shape, considering these parts not in local stock but small rear lights and full rear panel from earlier model is in stock any reasons not to downgrade to earlier parts?
Only from a point of view of originality.
Personally I don't like the later 2000GTV rear lights at all, but that's just me, so I would do it in a heartbeat.
Depends entirely on whether you're fixated with being original, or not,

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So all compatible and fits ok like boot lid alignment and boot lock and wiring to lights works?

My main concern is time to do this project (just few weeks) and functionality to go racing/rally. If the car had unique history then i would keep strict originality.

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
So all compatible and fits ok like boot lid alignment and boot lock and wiring to lights works?
In reality, nothing simply "fits OK". These cars were never built to exact tolerances, and after 50 years of rear-end collisions, who knows what is correct anymore? Swapping body panels isn't like replacing a water pump - some trial-and-error fitting will probably be necessary.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. I tend to agree with GTA R; I don't like the later 2000GTV rear lights either, and think that swapping in the earlier/smaller lights will be an improvement. But we would be misleading you to suggest that this will be a 5 minute job.

·
Administrator
12,582 Posts
And a future owner can easily convert a small tail light to a large tail light panel if they want.
Pete

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The big 2000gtv lights are 3x price of early little ones, so ordered little lights along with back panel and fog light.

Im stripping and blasting the shell and I think its faster to unstitch the old back panel and fit new one than fixing it and buying the expensive lights. I wont be using the bumpers so it will have to be perfect even though it wont be original.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts