Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 Duetto just has 2 holes in the rear to hold the tag. It seems to sit the plate high up under the trunk lid so you can not see it well. Is there supposed to be a bracket that bolts to the body and the tag will bolt to that? This Duetto is my first Alfa so I am still learning about it. Thank you, Steve G

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
yes, there is supposed to be a bracket. I can't take a picture right now, but if no one else does, I can go out and do it for you tomorrow

·
Registered
294 Posts
License plate

Hopefully my quick photos will make sense. On my 69, there are two upper tabs that the plate slides into. Then two lower nut/bolt arrangements to secure the bottom.

And if you have a weird sense of humor, you might construct a modified logo for your former spica, now "webered" set up.

Hope this helps.

GMack
69 Spider
74 GTV

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is what the bracket looks like for the US 69 spider. The center two holes are the ones that attach it to the car. Like Greg said, slide the license plate under the two tabs at the top and secure it through the bottom holes. I know it seems upside down, but hey it's an Alfa. :)

The plate is aluminum. It's not generally available (US version and one year only), but should be easy enough to make.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
oh wow, mine is completely different! I have a 67 that started it's life in Germany, so that may be why it's different, or maybe it's home made, but here are the pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The two years are different. I have an xtra 67 free to anyone who wants it.
It is the one that attaches like the last above picture.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
It would work but it wouldn't be correct. It is different in that the part that goes to the bottom of the lower valance is not on the 69 but only the 67.

You are welcome to it but you would have to drill a small hole on the underside of the rear valance to make it secure. OR you could cut that part off and then it would be a
69 version. If you want it I have a metal cutter and I can cut it off for you.

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Old thread, but similar problem of mounting rear license plate holder on USA 1969 Spider. Lots of new sheet metal all around my car including rear valence. So I have to drill holes in the nice paint job. I cringe every time I have to do that. I apparently did not take disassembly pictures of this area to guide me.

I need a rough dimensions on how far below the bottom of the boot lid should the top of the plate holder be mounted. I am estimating between 1.5 to 2 inches. Sound reasonable? I am planning on using two self tapping screws through the middle holes unless the community thinks aluminum rivets would be better. Seems like a place for dirt to get trapped behind this holder and lead to corrosion in the future no matter how good the paint. Should there be some sort of bushing behind the mounting screws or rivets to make the plate holder standoff from the valence?

I meant to include this from my Car Disc file. Does not show any parts to make the holder standoff the valence.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
just a question, as I have seen it both ways in photos...do the two tabs go up or down?
here is one showing them down, for instance

Attachments

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,147 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Thanks Brian.

My comment to tabs or plate holes on the top is that if the holes were on the top, you would need something behind the holder to make it stand off the valence or the plate screws would run into the paint. The valence slopes away on the bottom so that if the holes are on the bottom, the plate screws can protrude through the holder and not hit the paint. Until you get rear ended. Which was the only evident collision damage to my car prior to my ownership.

I purchased a couple of 0.25 inch nylon spacers to put behind the mounting plate to see how that looks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts