Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger side (LHD model) rear indicator/yellow blinker light does not work. I had the whole cluster out yesterday afternoon and swapped the bulbs and holder with the driver's side to no avail (it worked on the driver's side).

I even got the multimeter out on it and although it read a voltage with the bulb out when the light should have been illuminated, it seemed different to the working driver's side. It's difficult to say as reading a changing voltage with a digital multimeter is difficult, but I guess the drivers side read +12, then +5 maybe, whereas the broken one read just +12, then 0v. I'm assuming there was no current as the bulb still didn't illuminate when it was connected and I didn't read any voltage. Additionally when I took the bulb out, the relay clicking increased in frequency (which I understood happens when the bulb is broke)... so it seems that the cabling between the control unit (?) and the cluster is intact.

I checked the fuses under the bonnet also to no avail, is there another fuse/relay or controller box under the dash for smaller circuitry like this?

Additionally it seems intermittent--sometimes it does work, but this is very rare. Could be a loose connection?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies :( Okay, just in case someone comes across this thread with the same issue... I'll update you.

I started to think that this was a more serious issue than a loose connection due to the fact that if the car hasn't ran for a while and you unlock it via the key fob for example, all indicator lights flash. After that the back left no longer works until you leave it for a while and unlock it with the key fob again--if you just unlock it after you've been using it, the light won't come on.

Took it to the garage today. Requires a new computer... cost CHF 550 (~£230) + fitting CHF 400 (~£190)... and as this is Switzerland, labour is very expensive. I did a few searches on the net and it seems this is about right--some guy in Ireland was quoting similar prices. Maybe I could get it cheaper in the UK, but I don't have that option. The car is due for the Swiss equivalent of an MOT soon and I need the lights working... one of the front ones has an issue too!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts