Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago I replaced the gas(less) struts on the Montreal rear hatch with the StrongArm Model #4744. I have since been concerned about the relatively high force required to close the hatch. I always pull down equally from the middle of the hatch window frame, on the sides, in an attempt to minimize stresses on the glass and frame. Well last night with the hatch midway down I heard a strange pop and noticed the hatch frame and glass were a bit askew. Upon closer examination it was determined that one of the two bolts that previously held the right hinge to the frame had popped out of the hinge bracket -which had been brazed to the inside of the stainless steel window frame.
Hinge stud Montreal.jpg

Would anyone know the best way to repair or replace this hinge stud?

I feel fortunate that the window did not shatter in a million pieces and would suggest that anyone else using the StrongArm struts consider replacing them, before it is too late, with more suitable alternatives. The Alfa Romeo Montreal Website

Here is a link to a similar situation with rebuilt struts that were apparently not equally charged: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/360291-post10.html

Mark

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mark, as I wrote down in a PM, I bought two #4744´s but I felt the original hinge struts were so weak and rusted so I have made two reinforced out of a U shape 3/4" steel channel. Originals were removed and the new ones welded in place at the rear floor. I am planning to use reinforced bolts. Thanks for warning I would be back to their catalog and try to find a product with less pressure. Its impressive their products are very low cost. Will try to post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes Edgar, I understand but trust me, the low cost of the StrongArm 4744 gas struts will soon be forgotten 'if' the upper hinge mounting studs are pulled from your rear window frame hinge mounting bracket. Hopefully it will not result in your $1,000 rear window being shattered.

I am guardedly optimistic that the steel stud 'screwed' back into the bracket that it pulled out of, using a set of double lock nuts and a good deal of force from a 1/4" drive socket wrench. Just maybe with very low pressure gas struts the stud will hold (fingers crossed). The studs are aligned, they just don't look like it in this very "close-up" photograph. Hinge stud Montreal lock nuts.jpg

Mark

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the post Mark. You just saved me the cost of some struts and maybe a whole lot more..... As my better half says if it stays up by itself you don't mess with it.
Dale

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As my better half says if it stays up by itself you don't mess with it.
Dale
We have a similar saying, "It it is not broken, don't fix it". I have one original gas strut that still holds some pressure and another that is 'kaput'. If anyone has an extra OEM strut that still holds pressure that they would consider selling, please PM me.

Mark

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone has an extra OEM strut that still holds pressure that they would consider selling, please PM me.
Mark
I'd be happy to trade an OEM strut, that holds no pressure, for one that holds a little pressure if you plan to have a set of struts rebuilt or have already replaced your struts with a new set from Giorgio.

I'd also trade a set of Strong Arm 4744's for an OEM strut that holds some pressure but I would not recommend you use them on a Montreal.

Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd be happy to trade an OEM strut, that holds no pressure, for one that holds a little pressure if you plan to have a set of struts rebuilt or have already replaced your struts with a new set from Giorgio.

I'd also trade a set of Strong Arm 4744's for an OEM strut that holds some pressure but I would not recommend you use them on a Montreal.

Mark
I have 2, one that weeps oil, and one that is fine, I plan to put a new set on from Giorgio, Coppolla Old timer Italy has them for sale as well from a parts car. if you want them both, £100.00

Original and Work
Regards

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts