Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a source for rear hatch gas lifts in the US? I can't seem to find anything on the internet when searching for Bruce's suggested Gabriel Gas Lifts as replacements. Giorgio suggested I try to find them in the US because of high shipping costs from Europe.
Thanks,
Dale Whitney

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Hi Dale, About 15 years ago I took one of the gas struts to my local Pep Boys to try to match it up and found an almost exact match, The bottom part was maybe 3/4" diameter but that doesn't show anyway. You would have to make up a spacer for the bottom mount and at the time I used a nylon spacer from Home Depot. The strut was made by Strong Arm. I can check to see if there is a part # on the strut but it will have to wait till next week. Presently the car is at the Simeone Foundation Auto Museum in Philly, for the Best Of Italy exhibit. I'll send pics too and I remember I posted this info on the Montreal Forum all those years ago. I'll do a search. Peter.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ok found it, The part# was 4744
Here was my original post to the Montreal Forum.

The Montreal rear glass struts are pretty easy to find providing
you are not interested in original parts. I went to a local auto
parts store that carried a variety of rear hatchback struts with one
of the non-working originals and matched one up almost perfectly.
That is length extended and length retracted. The diameter of the
strut was about 15mm. I used a little nylon bushing (Home Depot)
to compensate for the differece in diameters at the lower mounting
point. I would replace them in pairs because of the different forces
generated from the new strut vs. the old strut. When installed and
the rear shelf closed, they look original, they work great and cost
about $25. each USD.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like this will work

Thanks Peter,
I think this makes a lot more sense than trying to recharge the originals or track down some from Europe.
Besides these cars are so rare in the US only you and I will know theyt aren't stock.
Thanks again,
Dale

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Just for the record, I bought a pair from Giorgio and they fit and work perfectly. The barrel has a smaller diameter than the originals, but that really isn't noticable because that part is hidden anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts