Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can you remove the rear Bush on the gearbox still in place. If so what is the best plan of attack. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
546 Posts
Place a jack under the rear of the trans axle then raise the transxle up enough to take the weight off the bolt now tap the bolt out then lower the transaxle down untill the bush mount rests against the Dedion axle.
Sounds easy but in reality this job can be frustrating and difficult if the bush won't come out easily, if you don't have any suspension bush removal tools I suggest you buy or make some they are the easiest way to remove the bush with the transaxle insitu, sometimes using a little heat can help. Others have removed the rubber from the bush then cut through the steel outer section a hacksaw. Doing it this way would be very time consuming and difficult with the transaxle still in the car.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Hello can you remove the rear Bush on the gearbox still in place. If so what is the best plan of attack. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you
I'm pretty sure you can although I haven't done that job personally for quite a while. Several things.

First up you want to find out if the through bolt that goes through the bushing has seized to it or not. So jack up the transaxle just enough to get the weight off the mount, and try and remove the bolt. If the bolt comes out easily, remove it, clean it, cover it with anti seize, and then put it back. If it doesn't come out easily, clean the area as best you can, spray in some penetrating oil and then hit the bolt with the biggest impact gun you can find. Hopefully this will break it free, If the meal sleeve in the center of the bushing tears lose from the bushing and sticks to the bolt, that still good, you can work with that.

In general this is one of those jobs that goes a lot better, if you can before the day, you do the job, clean up the whole area, and spray in penetrating oil and repeat that process for several days.

When it comes to removing the actual bushing simply heat the metal surrounding the bushing, with a MAP/ propane torch. When it's very hot, hit the bushing with a hammer, and it will fly out. I've done lots of them this way, same goes for the rear mount in the four cylinder transmission..

Have you new bushing covered in anti sieve and ready to be inserted. When the new bushing is in, cover the area in wet rags, this will stop the new bushing from being overheated.

I want to emphasize that the torch and a gentle tap with a hammer is the way to get these bushing out. Don't try and hammer them out cold, you will crack the transaxle case. When the transaxle case is hot enough the bushing will come out with just a love tap.

I'll try and write more later.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Thanks guys; this is very helpful. Sounds like this is an isolated procedure, so I (my friend/mechanic actually) can plan to do this bushing independent of the pivot bushing, which I believe is a more complicated project. I'm getting a clunking from the rear of the car when upshifting 2-3 and 3-4, so I want to methodically check all the possible culprits: front/rear gearbox mounts, pivot bushing, maybe shocks...

·
Registered
2,410 Posts

This little guy will fit into tight spaces and slice right through the old bushing shell, which will relax the bushing in the bore and let you tap it out easily. Don't struggle-- burn out or drill out the rubber, then cut the bushing shell. Wham-bam.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Thanks guys; this is very helpful. Sounds like this is an isolated procedure, so I (my friend/mechanic actually) can plan to do this bushing independent of the pivot bushing, which I believe is a more complicated project. I'm getting a clunking from the rear of the car when upshifting 2-3 and 3-4, so I want to methodically check all the possible culprits: front/rear gearbox mounts, pivot bushing, maybe shocks...
Noise is going to be either the front trans mounts or the DeDion bushing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I kind of feel the sound is coming from over my right shoulder, and only when the car is stressed a bit. I hope its not the De Dion pivot bushing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts