Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of admitting I'm not smart enough to read and understand the electrical diagrams available (or basically anything electrical), let's just say I'm too lazy to try.

Here's the issue that began recently:

When switching the headlight switch to the on position, sometimes they come on right away, sometimes there is a 1-2 second delay, and sometimes they dont come on at all until I rotate the switch back just slightly or I can also pull it back like I'm going to flash my hi-beams.

So now the headlights are on but...when I push the rear fog lamp switch button, the head lights go off. BTW, the rear fog lamps dont illuminate regardless now, head lights on or off.

My instinct is to replace the rear fog lamp switch and hope it fixes both the rear fog lamp and head light issue.

Am I just being hopeful or is a another new, very costly column switch replacement in my future (the original was replaced several years ago)?

·
Registered
850 Posts
You are right, the rear fogs will only come on if the headlights are on. But having to play with the light switch to get the headlights on is not a good sign. The headlights do not have a relay, so all the power is going thru that switch. Many people have added a relay to save wear and tear on the impossible to get light switch. Maybe you can hit it with some contact cleaner. I would check the fuse and bulbs them selves for the rear fogs first.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Another headlight switch is available. You can find them used from time to time. And I saw a replacement available in Europe which is not exactly like the original and actually pretty crappy looking. But it does fit and work as the original headlight/turn signal switch is supposed to work. If you go the 'parts wanted' and 'parts for sale' classified portion of this BB you can post a "want" for one and see what kind of responces you get. I have an extra used one myself, but it is for looking at as Chief Dan George said in "The Outlaw Josey Wales", not for selling. (it is a spare for me in case I ever need one)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It sounds like two problems, one with the headlight switch and one with the fog light switch or wiring, as you have diagnosed. Turning the fog lights on shouldn't affect the headlights, obviously.

Before you replace the ignition switch it would be a good idea to fit headlight relays, as Alfabeach suggests. Even with a worn headlight switch there may be enough juice to fire the lights up via a relay. Its an easy thing to install and would help protect a new switch if you do end up replacing it.

I would take the foglight switch out and test for shorts across the terminals (Do the dash lights dim when you switch the fogs on?).

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve done some more experimenting and it surely seems like the rear fog lamp switch and this relay pictured below are affecting the head lights.

1. fog lamp switch off - head lights turn on fine.
2. head lights on, then fog lamp switch on (do not get an indicator light) - head lights go out.
3. switch off the fog lamp - head lights go on and off several times quickly (like there’s a bad connection) then remain on (each time the head lights go on and off, the relay clicks).
4. hold the head light switch back (like when flashing high beams) with the fog lamp switch on - fog lamps turn on along with the fog lamp indicator.

Looking at the workshop manual, it appears to be the “Electronic device for rear fog lamp” but on the fuse panel diagram it appears to be in the “Alternator, direction indicator lights and hazard lights” spot.

Any additional thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
clean the grounds on the head lights and the fog light circuit.
Thanks...and where exactly would I find those grounds? Sorry. I'm an idiot. (but trying).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks...and where exactly would I find those grounds? Sorry. I'm an idiot. (but trying).
You need the wiring diagram to know generally where the grounds to the body are. After you get this from user papajam (PM him for details) you go spellunking into the body to find where the grounds are. In the rear they are easy to find and are visible if you remove the carpet from the trunk. In the front (headlights) I believe they are around the radiator.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Looking at the workshop manual, it appears to be the “Electronic device for rear fog lamp” but on the fuse panel diagram it appears to be in the “Alternator, direction indicator lights and hazard lights” spot.
it is in the right spot (only fits in one spot)

wonder if the relay points have fused together, something like that?
here is a very rudimentary resistance test I once did on one of those red relays....might help...might not
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/4939553-post10.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts