Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got parts for the MadMaxAlfettaRustettaGTProject and thought I would just run on out to the garage and throw 'em on, be done before lunch, and head on out to a friends for a party of 4 year olds!! Yipppeee!!:rolleyes:

So, I need to remove the old mount from the bellhousing, I tried pounding, hammering heat, cold, over and over. It moved about 1/8-1/4 inch in the very beginning and now it won't budge!

What's the secret? Do I cut it out? With what?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got to go party with a bunch of 4 year olds, I hope to finish this tonight or tomorrow afternoon!!!:D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I was able to pound mine out with a hefty hammer and a piece of pipe that I happened to have laying about that was just a bit thinner that than the steel portion of the mount. It came right out. Try some penetrating oil on it? Or try pounding from the other side. -Clark

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Mark-
I jammed a chunk of 2x4 to pry the mess down enough to get a bit of room. Soaked with PB Blaster. Then, like Clark, used a 3" or so long piece of pipe that just fit inside hole. Put a piece of flat stock on each side and used a BIG c-clamp. I got the clamp really tight, but nothing moved. I put a little heat on the outside with a propane torch-just enough to get some heavy PB fumes-the gave the clamp a solid whack or three and it broke loose enough to tap it out. They can get real tight.
Be careful not to booger the edges of the hole-aluminum.
Be patient if it is required!
Jeff

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ha! PB fumes! I'll admit, I had some assitance from a few fine English Ales when I removed mine. :) Now the transaxle rear mount can be a real booger to remove... :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
I replaced my rear bellhousing mount at the same time i had to do my centre donut, so took the bellhousing off and used a press, was piece of cake, and then i had to replace all 3 transaxle mounts a couple months later, was pretty straight foward, tho i did hve the advantage of borrowing a hoist to do that job :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Not sure if you have enough room, but look into a ball joint install kit, basically it includes a huge c-clamp and many different sized adapters, if you can find one that fits or an impact socket that fits, you can use a imapct gun on the installer and that shoud get it out.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies so far.......how come no one has a super easy magic decoder ring that pops it right out????:D

Guess I'll soak it with Blaster and try to find a piece of pipe.
By the way....the four year olds were no help at all!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Hey Mark!!
Hit it with your purse!:D

I would try the old trick of using a hacksaw blade to cut it in a couple of places. And then try to punch it out with a chisel. If it comes down to it I have a special chisel for my air hammer that cuts and pushes the bushing out at the same time.

Good luck

Paul

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it comes down to it I have a special chisel for my air hammer that cuts and pushes the bushing out at the same time.

Good luck

Paul
GREAT!! Come on down, fix my car...I'll be home all week!!:D

It's Sunday and I'm taking the day off, I went to church this morning but I think God has other plans because when I got home the silly thing was still stuck!!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'd love to but some of us have jobs. I may meander down there this weekend if I'm not playing "fix one of the father inlaws boat motors"
I really would rather come there than spend endless hours crunched between two 350's in a hot, wet, smelly engine compartment! Oh did I mention that boats rock alot.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts