Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on my new car - 83 Veloce - and came across a thread (Transmissions / 4.33:1 differential) there is a posting for a link on LSD's (which I would have put here had I known how). Anyway, one posting says all uUS cars after '73 had an LSD. It is also said on another post about attributes of the rear diff:

"One arrow points to the triangular shaped ribbing I mentioned. Non-LSDs do not have this triangle. In addition, the second arrow points to the three center cooling fins on the oilpan. These three fins on an LSD rear are longer than the other fins; on non-LSD, the cooling fins are the same length."
Attached Images

My rear diff has all the attributes shown or spoke about above (not sure if image will show) - but my diff does NOT have one attribute I always have known to be true for LSD's. All LSD's I have owned to date - when jacked so the rear tires are in the air and you rotate one tire, the other spins the same direction. My '83 when jacked and you spin one wheel, the other goes the opposite direction. Thus I do not believe mine to be a true LSD????

Is there something different about the Alfa rear diff from others so the rule I have known to be true for Datsun, BMW, Chevy & Dodge's does not apply?

Curious for Alfa knowledge - thanks

Matt

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Hi Matt,

The LSD was introduced on U.S. Alfas, along with the 2000cc engines, for model year 1972. Your spider should have a LSD unless someone has switched the rear axle.

I will be in Topeka for the SCCA Solo National Championship next week at Heartland Park. Stop by if you need additional information. We're in a small green & white motorhome parked in the RV section along the fence and the Alfa is a red spider. We run Tuesday/Wednesday, and will be working in the Information area on Thursday/Friday.

I have been reading up on my new car - 83 Veloce - and came across a thread (Transmissions / 4.33:1 differential) there is a posting for a link on LSD's (which I would have put here had I known how). Anyway, one posting says all uUS cars after '73 had an LSD. It is also said on another post about attributes of the rear diff:

"One arrow points to the triangular shaped ribbing I mentioned. Non-LSDs do not have this triangle. In addition, the second arrow points to the three center cooling fins on the oilpan. These three fins on an LSD rear are longer than the other fins; on non-LSD, the cooling fins are the same length."
Attached Images

My rear diff has all the attributes shown or spoke about above (not sure if image will show) - but my diff does NOT have one attribute I always have known to be true for LSD's. All LSD's I have owned to date - when jacked so the rear tires are in the air and you rotate one tire, the other spins the same direction. My '83 when jacked and you spin one wheel, the other goes the opposite direction. Thus I do not believe mine to be a true LSD????

Is there something different about the Alfa rear diff from others so the rule I have known to be true for Datsun, BMW, Chevy & Dodge's does not apply?

Curious for Alfa knowledge - thanks

Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts