Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking how well this Red 164S is running, suspension is tight brakes are good, rebuilt engine is about broken in, maybe I should put the greenhouse up and repaint it. I have the compressors, have the time and...have the greenhouse!
This afternoon in Bellingham, I'm coming out of the Costco parking lot waiting for traffic to go after the red light. A very nice gentleman in a white Toyota P/U lets me in. A block later, I stop in line at a red light and he rear ends me:( No one was injured. He was very embarrassed and very apologetic, but I got pushed into the truck ahead. No damage to the front truck, very minimal damage to the Toyota, but my poor Alfa is hurting at both ends. Repairable for sure, but very disappointing.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Electric lock no longer work, front bumper pushed in a little, hood sprung slightly, slight crinkle in LR quarter panel, etc.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Glad no one got injured.

Seeing it isn't your fault and the driver that hit you didn't protest you should get the insurance money soon. It doesn't seem too hard to repair, so... You might not have to paint the car yourself.

Another gentleman I met today wasn't so lucky. He came from France with his family in his Ford Mondeo on vacation, had just replaced the valves, seats, had it painted... He was stopped in a traffic jam when a big Volvo truck carrying marble blocks didn't manage to stop on time. The bar behind the rear bumper went forward almost to the rear seat with the force of impact. Engine was still running fine when he had the car towed but it wouldn't start when it got to the breakers yard: someone stole a full tank of diesel.

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
It is dangerous out there isn't it?

·
Premium Member
16,703 Posts
Gack, and I'm driving to B'ham tomorrow with my red 91S. I worry every day about this very situation. I figure that the only solution to the problem is to be going faster then everyone else. I do try my best.

Sorry to see this happen to you, I know how you love your cars. Don't let the insurance company screw you over.

BTW, taking a rest from the BB and just enjoying driving the cars. Tired of being dissed I guess.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...stay off Meridian!!
The Toyota driver is working for Asplundh Tree Service, an International company. They have a very good and seemingly aggressive safety program. The driver's supervisor came to the scene and I talked to the regional director. They are self insured upto $6,000. I was told to take it to a shop and they would cover it. We called in the police to make sure we got a report, and I will contact my insurance company tomorrow.
The supervisor and regional director were both very good. I don't expect any problems, but will follow protocol to make sure it gets fixed right.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hard to stay out of peoples' way any more. In the last week I've had a driver blow through an intersection from the turn only lane while I was waiting to make a left turn in front of him. Good thing I didn't trust him. Next a gal drives up to an intersection in the left turn only lane and then make a hard right turn. She almost got me on that one. And yesterday on four lane hiway I'm passing a guy in left lane and he decides to change into my lane (no blinker) to pass a car he was approaching. Had to use the shoulder on that one.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Richard,

Sounds like you just got a gift, really. Straight shooter guys, good insurance, nobody hurt??

New panels and panel work requires paint. :) It's not like it's a 10K mile show car. It'll look better after than it did before. You only lose access to the car for a little while!

·
Premium Member
1991 164L
27,579 Posts
Dick2 I am hoping for the best for you. First the black S with black ice, then the B with brakes and now this red S caught from behind.

Time for your luck to change.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know. I'm bummed out!!
I just took it in for an estimate. Nothing in writing yet, but he said the last one they did like this was (gulp) $10,000. The trunk floor is crinkled and he said it would be bent behind the rear seat. He said the sheet metal from the rear bumper to behind the rear seat would be replaced. After putting that much into it, it would still have a salvage title I bet.
I'm probably better off with another car.

·
Premium Member
16,703 Posts
Saw the car Saturday, and I think the $10,000 estimate is a very very high end price. Of course, he said he did take it to a very high end place, where you could eat off the floor, so to speak. The car is not that bad to do a reasonable (but not perfect repair where you can't see it), and Dick has so much invested in this otherwise decent car. Plus, he gets a new paint job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts